What to do input please on long term project.

rosso321

Member +
Well guys as some as you might know my gt is off the road as I had a crash. I just need bonnet grill quadlight crash bar few small things but looking for fresh front end.

Well my question is am I better off rebuilding it from the ground up to oem spec which I want to do or just buy one as is saw on on another site for 3350pounds so in euro plus vrt say 5000euro all in. Do I just wait for a oem gt to pop up or do my own knowing it be minty fresh with no problems

I like to rebuild my own for a budget off 5000euro including
Full respray
Gearbox rebuild
Turbo rebuild and
Oem parts to finish it
All new seals rubbers for bay doors boot etc...

Is it worth the time and hassle or just buy a box standard and wait?

Just to mention I'll be doing this in 4/5years time as I've a little one on e the way
(I've OCD like thinking in advance and I miss my gt so love input or your story was it worth it in the end)

Thanks in advance

Ross.

AdamB

Member +
You may well be waiting that amount of time to find a stock oem GT mate.

I would say if your in no rush, then build up your current one, at least you know it will be minty fresh, nothing wrong with it and you know the history.

nistarbo

Member +
I'd say better the devil u know.
It would be hard to find a pretty stock ep82.
Stick to what u know and feel proud when it's all done.

Jay

Admin
Even 'mint' examples will require some of the work you mention for your own car so don't expect just to jump into a factory fresh GT and be entirely happy.

Makes more sense to do it the hard way. Least that way you will know the car inside out.

rosso321

Member +
Very valid points there lads thanks for the advice been parked in fte shed till further notice sad times.

Jay

Admin
There is a mint one for sale on UKSO, but looking quite a lot for it.

I would sort the one you have mate.

Case and point - whilst it's in good mechanical order the seller is quite openly telling us the lacquer is bad. That usually means the upper panels will possibly need a proper respray before someone like Ross would be 100% happy.

(By that I mean he has a standard that he considers acceptable instead of calling him a fussy fucker :haha: )

Not knocking the car the car that's advertised at all, it's been advertised very clearly and honestly which is good to see.

Worth highlighting that if you picked the wrong car you could quite easily blow that £5000 budget without blinking!

rosso321

Member +
That's the car I was on about. Then I'm sure there be problem once used daily I'm sure seals will go around the engine be all pershed from parked up. And have to do a lot off maintance.

Jay I'm very fussy indeed I know what I want. Lol.

I see your point.