what triggers the low-fuel light?

dark_knight

Member +
the fuel needle being low or a fuel pressure sensor of some sort..?
this is because you will notice at times that the light will come on and off depending on your driving surface; on when hill-climbing and off when downhill or on level road. i'd presume this is because the level-sensor/sender-unit in the tank only takes readings from one side of the tank so when the vehicles pitch and yaw changes then the readings also change..

bucketep91

Member +
a float in the tank, as you go up and down hills the fuel will move around and the float will move with it making your light come on

chrisinflight

Fresh Recruit
Hi, There is only one float attached to the fuel pump unit (stock). When the float hits a certain lower point it triggers an electric connection to the light. All other times it` measuring the fuel level. Maybe check out a pic of a fuel pump on parts database or ebay to get more of an idea.
cheers,
chris

stuarty1

Member +
its on a float and a sensor wen the flat goes down then the sensor picks it up and gives u a reading of topic but alot of the times they get stuck on cars when you let them run low and fill up and it sticks lying under the car and hitting it a good thump fixes it

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
why the light fades somtimes? for example im almost on the low side and boosting the light fades slowly

sometimes i sit in my gt and the needle be at the empty mark and light on, and i drive a bit down the road and i look at petrol and its at 1/4 tank?

stuarty1

Member +
easyst way dont let it run low but if it does happen could b a sencor or just the float stuck just punch the shit out of it or use some object dont b to gental lol

dark_knight

Member +
which still maintains the question lads; if it's a sensor or a pressure switch. i think most schools of thought point towards the light just being wired to the fuel level sensor and has nothing to do with pressure in any way. i guess it also depends on what year your chariot is.. :D