Whats this on my rad cap ?

ktl

Member +
DSC02413.JPG

It feels like sand,or mud

Iv also get alot of coolant built back up into the expansion tank and sometimes comes out of the overflow pipe after a motorway journey or a good thrashing.

Last edited:

ALaN

Member +
looks like mayo mate like when oil and coolant mix if not now then in the past and the system just hasnt been flushed properly.
I could be wrong though

ktl

Member +
But theres no signs of mayo in the oil cap or the dipstick. Just seeing this in the radiator and the rad cap? if it is a sign of a HG!

dac69er

Super Moderator
flush your cooling system mate.
get the rad out and give it a damn good rinse through then flush through all the pipework.

replace the coolant with some fresh stuff (toyota red forlife coolant is ideal) and it should be ok.

ktl

Member +
I'v done it already starlet but came back fine. Although that was from a warmish startup and not after a good drive before hand.!

Jay

Admin
If the coolant is not renewed every few years or you mix the wrong coolants together deposits of corrosion will form. These deposits turn into a sludge that reduces flow, lowers efficient cooling and can ruin components in the cooling system.

Get her flushed until clear then run it on Toyota's own ForLife coolant. That should keep it right. If the system is still pressurising after this is done you may have a further issue to track down.

Jay

ktl

Member +
thanks... but the signs of this sludge on the cap could cause the expansion tank from risen right ?

I'm trying to persuade myself its not the HG. lol

thanks... but the signs of this sludge on the cap could cause the expansion tank from risen right ?

I'm trying to persuade myself its not the HG. lol

Things i checked first was, thermostat, radiator cap.

these things can push it into the expansion tank however i ended up needing to strip it down today for the gasket replacement.

Jay

Admin

That sludge will block up the radiator core (and the heater matrix) so that could explain matters.

Also if left untreated it'll eat the fins on your waterpump, rust the metal coolant pipe at the rear of the engine, block the coolant passages inside the engine, interfere with thermostat operation and disrupt the reading from the coolant temp sender.

Nasty stuff..

Stryfe_NZL

Member +
All I can do is laff at myself. I had much the same issues, pressurisation, and overheating...
Pulled my head off (my mum keeps saying i would lose it if it werent firmly attached) and the head gasket is absolutely mint...
No damage to it anywhere to be found.

So now I'm at a loss, I've replaced all the water lines, the water pump, and its had a good flush... Failing replacing the radiator and the thermostat (again) I'm at a loss...

Now my starlet sits in my shed, alone and headless XD. (I will put it back on, I promise!) But before I do, with so much of the engine out of the way imma try to find the oil leak that has been plaguing the wee beasty since i bought it a couple of years back :mad:.

turboflow

Member +
my head gasket had defo gone as i was chucking a shit load of water out on a hard drive but when the head gasket came off it looked the same as when it went on, alot of the time i have not been able to see the physical damage on a hg when all signs point to it and a change cures it.

eric mate do as they have said flush it all it seems the best option atm

ktl

Member +
its defo the headgasket. had another sniffer test done after a good blast around.

Turboflow is going to sort me out. Thanks for all the inputs though people!!

turboflow

Member +
toooooooooooold you lol.

na im joking mate, i said you would have to give it a blast then test it, its doin what mine did lifting the gasket on boost and blowing past. will get some toyota tradey parts lol on monday for you and whip head off friday evening skimmed by saturday mrning/lunch and back on by sunday at the latest,