Which oil pump and water pump?

GTnomez

Member +
Hey guys,

i believe that the water pumps are the same on the 5e/4e engines, right?

Now the oil pump, i know there are two, one with a seal in the block and one in the pump.

Which do i need out of both pumps?

For 5e

Thanks

there are also 2 water pumps...which have a different offset on the pully wheel...
u will have to get the oil pump that matches your block and the water pump that aligns with your other pulleys

GTnomez

Member +
Oh dont say that!

There must be an easier way as i bought a bare block.

Sure there is a way of knowing.

350ep70gr

Member +
there are also 2 water pumps...which have a different offset on the pully wheel...
u will have to get the oil pump that matches your block and the water pump that aligns with your other pulleys

In addition to what gorganl say water pumps can have an extra blade for more flow. Or is it a thing that older designs had lets say 6 blades and newer 7 blades.Also are some with fix pulley and other with bolt on pulley.(I think both aligment to the crank pulley is the same tho..:p)
About oil pumps i had use both types in the same block and havent a prob with leak or pressure. The right thing to do tho is to use what your engine needs...so if the block has o-ring the oil pump hasnt and the opposite.

Chris

GTnomez

Member +
So a normal 5e water pump would suffice?

On the oil pump, i just check the oil pump area to see if there is an o-ring/seal or not?

Thanks

In addition to what gorganl say water pumps can have an extra blade for more flow. Or is it a thing that older designs had lets say 6 blades and newer 7 blades.Also are some with fix pulley and other with bolt on pulley.(I think both aligment to the crank pulley is the same tho..:p)
About oil pumps i had use both types in the same block and havent a prob with leak or pressure. The right thing to do tho is to use what your engine needs...so if the block has o-ring the oil pump hasnt and the opposite.

Chris

chris...i think we tried it out a while back....and i dont think the different water pumps aligned exactly the same for the pulley belt to sit properly........but to be honest, that was a LONG time ago.........so i could be wrong, as i'm going on memory here:haha::haha::haha:

now, i know we always try to get a new water pump that exactly matches the one being replaced

maybe some1 else can confirm so we know for sure

350ep70gr

Member +
chris...i think we tried it out a while back....and i dont think the different water pumps aligned exactly the same for the pulley belt to sit properly........but to be honest, that was a LONG time ago.........so i could be wrong, as i'm going on memory here:haha::haha::haha:

now, i know we always try to get a new water pump that exactly matches the one being replaced

maybe some1 else can confirm so we know for sure

Maybe you are right buddy! I have never try the one with the fixed pulley.
But what i was thinking is that it is only one crank pulley (oem offset) and one altenator pulley (oem offset) and one altenator bracket available...so it is one offset available for the 4e. That was the way i was thinking..never tryed in the real world.
I had quiet the same problem as yours with the aligment when i had put the bolt on pulley the other way around so the offset was towards the bay an not the 1st cylinder.Maybe you did the same!

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
From what I can tell the 4E-FE, 4E-FTE, 5E-FE and 5E-FHE all use the same water pump which has a bolt on pulley.

350ep70gr

Member +
So a normal 5e water pump would suffice?

On the oil pump, i just check the oil pump area to see if there is an o-ring/seal or not?

Thanks

For the oil pump are two options.
First your pump has an o-ring groove and an o-ring / bottom is flat.
Second option pump is flat just around the gear / bottom has an o-ring groove and an o-ring.
As soon as you remove the old oil pump you will be able to check.

Chris

GTnomez

Member +
Thanks texx, my intial thought was correct!

Chris, i purchased a bare block a long time ago so there was no old oil pump. Would it be the same procedure, just check the oil pump area for an o-ring groove?

Thanks

Rep added.

350ep70gr

Member +
Thanks texx, my intial thought was correct!

Chris, i purchased a bare block a long time ago so there was no old oil pump. Would it be the same procedure, just check the oil pump area for an o-ring groove?

Thanks

Rep added.

Thanks! And yes same procedure. But even if you do a mistake wich i dout:p
you will not have a prob either way.

Chris

GTnomez

Member +
I just spoke to my builder and he pretty much said that it wouldnt make a difference like you are saying.

Then why is there a difference and again would there be no problem with either one?

I remember GTdan had a problem with oil pressure and it was related to the oil beng different.

sx_turbo

Lifer
where the oil pump sits, there will either be a groove around where the oil pump impellors sit, or there wont, if there is you want the late type oil pump,

if you dont have that groove you want the early type pump,

i fitted the late pump to an early engine because i had already bought the early type to go on my early engine lol, but for one reason and another, that block was shagged, toyota wouldnt accept the pump back (the state of the box after being left at someones workshop made sure of that) and i couldnt sell it on, still seems fine at the moment done 6k miles

sx_turbo

Lifer
I just spoke to my builder and he pretty much said that it wouldnt make a difference like you are saying.

Then why is there a difference and again would there be no problem with either one?

I remember GTdan had a problem with oil pressure and it was related to the oil beng different.

i dont think it was the oil pump that was at fault, that engine never ha oil pressure, which leads me to believe there was some issues with the bearings, and oil starvation.

the engine had also been standing for nigh on a year and passed through 3 peoples hands

350ep70gr

Member +

I dont want to blame me is something goes wrong..so here my personal experience! My engine needs oil pump with o-ring and Toby make a mistake and send me one without. After puting a tread up here a year ago i took the answer it was safe to use it by some sort of sealant in between. Wich i did.And i had oil pressure right away when cranking and oil delivery in all the engine and no leaks or any other problems. Keep in mind tho that my engine has run only for 20-30 min or so. After this i had oil starvation and fucked the bearings....:p (just a joke... i wanna see your face when reading the above..LOL) So the conclusion is yours..but it is good to go with the one wich match to your blok.

Chris

GTnomez

Member +
Thanks guys for the clear up.

@Ricky - I see now, ile have a look later and see which one it is, thanks for the description. Also i tried to figure out the second part but too many early and lates, LOL!!

@Chris - You had me there!!! If i had a camera i would show you! :haha:

Thanks again

Ricky repped

so basically to conclude, they both fit and work fine, what every type.

sx_turbo

Lifer
basicly yes,

but if putting the late type pump on early make sure a very high qaulity gasket sealant is used