Which Would You Recommend?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I have no experience with the trd one but I've got a quaiffe in mine and its fucking epic. By far the best modification on my car.

Bazza

Member +
I have no experience with the trd one but I've got a quaiffe in mine and its fucking epic. By far the best modification on my car.

right that made me make my mind up! :)

Quaiffe all the way, i ent in no rush because i need a good quality box. The syncros in mine are on the way out! :(

Chris@CCM

Member +
i dont like the feel of the quaiffe diffs at all if it was me i would be going for a clutch type lsd like the trd 1.5 or a cusco 1.5

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I've heard people describe diffs as harsh and "locking up". You don't get anything like that with the quaiffe, you can barely tell its there.

Till you wanna plant it round a bend! ;)

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I think so. the car just seems to have so much more grip and can really pull through the bends. It'd be helpful if you've got mates with different lsd's, you could have a blast in cars fitted with different ones to get a feel of them. I didn't have that chance and went with quaiffe based on reputation. can't say i regret it.

Bazza

Member +
I think so. the car just seems to have so much more grip and can really pull through the bends. It'd be helpful if you've got mates with different lsd's, you could have a blast in cars fitted with different ones to get a feel of them. I didn't have that chance and went with quaiffe based on reputation. can't say i regret it.

think im going to do the same mate go on reputation and go quaiffe :rockon:

riko666

Member +
The Helical TRD units and Quaife units are essentially the same, both Torsen type in that lock is distributed when a disparity of torque is sensed. Now, speaking generally, the Torsen-LSD's are better for a road application, as the torque is appropriately distributed to the outer wheel at a specific ratio, aiding cornering. In a clutch-type LSD however, when one wheel spins, the LSD tries to get both wheels spinning at the same rate, which sure enough limits wheel spin on the inner wheel, but also makes for a lot of clicking, bumping etc, as wheels don't like travelling at the same speed around a corner.

One downfall of the Torsen however...is that if one wheel completely loses traction, like if you drive on ice, or have a wheel in the air, no torque is transferred to it all - this is due to the fact that Torsen's work on a ratio, for example, 6:1, so if the "1" is a 0, then there's no torque distribution. What this means, for example, when on snow, is that you'll just keep spinning that one wheel and not get anywhere. That's a huge factor for me as I live on a hill, and in the snowy periods I just love my OEM LSD as it helps the car climb up without an issue...its something I'd miss with a Torsen to be honest!

azerty

Supermoderator
to cut it short.
Helical LSD (torsen) for Road use (to the exeption of snow according to Riko).
Mechanical LSD (clutch type) for race cars.
no mater the brand.
I use TRD clutch type :p

Last edited:

riko666

Member +
I went for a KAAZ 1.5 way lsd mate, heard good things from members already using them on here :D

Kaaz make the TRD units ;)

And ofcourse clutch-type isn't for snow, I was only comparing disadvantages - its far more aggressive due to the lockup behaviour of the clutch type LSD! But they will behave better in snow :eek:

weakboy2

Member +
As said, quaife units pull you round corners with power, you have to feel it to believe, unfortunatly in a straight line they are interesting... but i kind of like it :D

I also have a spare TRD clutched diff incase i get fed up :p