Whistling noise?

After-Glanza

Member +
havent took the car a drive yet since fitting my manifold but when at idle and revving my engine and you get up the revs you can hear a whistle noise. would this suggest a boost pipe issue or could it be a blowing mani. its hard to tell as i have a decat blowout i need sorted and can only hear it? i always thought boost pipe leaks made the whistling noise. cheers in advance.

Mike D EP82

Member +
you must have a loose vacuum pipe off somewhere. a blowing manifold doesnt make a whistling noise usually. usually a rough exhaust note or when revving it ticks. use your hand to try and find a blow just dont touch the roasting mani lol

After-Glanza

Member +
seems to be boosting okay but it whistles like mad on boost. gonna have a wee look in the bay at all the vacuum pipes just to check but im pretty sure its the mani as i may not have tightened a bolt enough or something silly but ill check them all tomorrow.:)

After-Glanza

Member +
It only seems to do it on boost just as the turbo starts to spool. im thinking the gasket from compressor housing to intercoolers pipe has crapped itself. ill have a look and see and if so ill get some black silicone on there. deffo sounds like a boost leak as i had a blowing mani ages ago and it would blow all the time and never gave off the noise im getting now. fingers crossed lol

GTnomez

Member +
probly just the soound of the turbo spinning, mine does the same and i have no problems with boost or nethin

After-Glanza

Member +
Na man its way louder than that. just noticed there was no gasket on the intercooler to compressor housing so it may well be that but im gonna double check all the mani bolts in the morning as well. can anyone tell me would the noise produced from no gasket being there be a loud one?

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
lolz i hope you have a gasket on that as it would leak as for the whistle could you describe it more or record a video or sound clip, post it on youtube then send link here so we can all actually know what we need to know and give you the correct advise needed, but id make sure bolts are tight with good gaskets. try not to use old ones as they already been squashed :)

After-Glanza

Member +
lolz i hope you have a gasket on that as it would leak as for the whistle could you describe it more or record a video or sound clip, post it on youtube then send link here so we can all actually know what we need to know and give you the correct advise needed, but id make sure bolts are tight with good gaskets. try not to use old ones as they already been squashed :)

it had just been silicone gasketed before hand and obvioulsy me removing the pipe has broken that. hmmm not a bad idea. ill have a video up shortly hopefully.

After-Glanza

Member +
well re seal the pipe and get vid and we'll give more help :)

No bother. too late for a video now tho. the neighbours would go mad lol it seems more like a blowing manifold now tho. ahhhhh cars drive ya mad sometimes lol getting up first thing in the morning and im gonna sort it hopefully:)

After-Glanza

Member +
Ok can someone please confirm that this is a blowout causing this noise? all mani to head bolts are tight and the mani-turbo bolts werent that tight. i tightened three of them and i cant get at the other one as i cant take the rad out today to get at it. but i can see that at the back left of the flange there is alot of soot so its deffo not a tight bolt.

After-Glanza

Member +
MAJOR boost leak there where the intercooler pipe has been taken off the turbo:p:p:p

Re-fit the intercooler pipe and take another video;)

lol haha i noticed that boost leak:). it sounds the same regardless of whether thats on or not mate. drives me mad lol

Fishy89GT

Banned
your problem :

untitled.jpg

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
if ur mani bolts were loose get a new gasket for the mani and get em tight, also when replacing the intercooler pipe make sure u got a new gasket on and its tight then try sounds like a diesel lolz no offence mate id defo der the manifold sorted before moving to next step