Who has done a 3SGTE conversion??

Gee Man

Fresh Recruit
I am going to be starting a project soon, basically to create a track slag monster!!!

My plan is to drop a rev3 3SGTE lump into a starlet!!!

Now which model do you think its best to this with??

Also if anybody has a rollin shell i am looking to buy one so send me a pm as i have money waiting!!!

Cheers

Dan

starbogt

Member +
3Sgte (Dan) on here is the only person I know in the uk. the sump lies very low to the floor when mounted but its immensly fast.It cost a lot too so unless you do the fabricating etc yourself it won't be too cheap.

Yeah Dan did one on here and it is quite a good conversion. I remember him saying it was very expensive to do. Good luck with it and welcome to the site, im sure someone will have a shell for you on here;)
Also im sure Dan will be along soon and will be able to give you some good advice.haha.:p
Its wierd that your name is Dan aswell though.haha.:confused:
Christy

Gee Man

Fresh Recruit
Cheers for the feedback guys, regarding the shell is there much of the difference between models???

I have got a company that would do the full conversion, its not that cheap but they do a sweeeet job!!!!

I have heard about the sump been very close to the floor!!!! i wont drop it 2much at the front but then it will be only a fun/track/ drag car :rockon:

so i would keep it well away of speed bumps!!!!

Dave.

Member +
When dan first got his, he lost 2 sumps (from hitting things) iirc..

So yea, keep an eye on it! :)

Dave

Jules-B

Member +
Would this company happen to be 3S ? if so lets hope they dont do any welding!

for a proper job you are looking at spending around £15000 to get it right.and in my eyes keeping it fwd will give you lots of understeer, if you want to do it properly, and if your spending that money then why not, you would want to use gt4 engine and running gear so its a 4wd.

Edit, Yeah dave, dan did loose 2 sumps, as i supplied him with the replacements!!!, a reall thick sump guard should be sufficent though.

Last edited:

Gee Man

Fresh Recruit

for a proper job you are looking at spending around £15000 to get it right.and in my eyes keeping it fwd will give you lots of understeer, if you want to do it properly, and if your spending that money then why not, you would want to use gt4 engine and running gear so its a 4wd.

Edit, Yeah dave, dan did loose 2 sumps, as i supplied him with the replacements!!!, a reall thick sump guard should be sufficent though.

Why should they not do any welding mate??

A sump guard is a must if you ask me, i have seen one fitted and they are very close to the floor.

Cheers dan

starbogt

Member +

Dan spent around 10k but the engine was a low mileage and expensive part. He told me the handling had not really changed a great deal to be honest even with the extra weight he said before he upped the power traction actually sempt better round corners too!

If this is to be track based then why not rear mount the engine instead no one has done that yet!

Jules-B

Member +
I have seen some of their work, and its shocking.

There is no point in doing this conversion and cut corners, so i would budget spending alot more money than you think you will. i have spoken to many people about doing this conversion, for one reason or another. the best way to do it, and it would be best to make it a 4wd.

starbogt

Member +
personaly I'd rather spend the money shoving a second 4efte in the back and twin engine it that way the balance would be much better than a front heavy car. thus 4wd lol

Gee Man

Fresh Recruit
I have seen some of their work, and its shocking.

There is no point in doing this conversion and cut corners, so i would budget spending alot more money than you think you will. i have spoken to many people about doing this conversion, for one reason or another. the best way to do it, and it would be best to make it a 4wd.

Was that on a starlet the work you had seen??
from my understanding they have only done one conversion and thats one they are working on now??

Jules-B

Member +
no i have seen other work that they have done in the past, on various mr2's and all i can say is that i wouldnt let them touch anything i ever owned.

Gee Man

Fresh Recruit
no i have seen other work that they have done in the past, on various mr2's and all i can say is that i wouldnt let them touch anything i ever owned.

mmmm interesting.

I have taken my mr2 there a couple of times now and had no problems with them, i have been there the whole time they wa working my car and never had any problems with them or the work they have done??

I guess its like that with everything people have good and bad experiences with all places. :noidea:

Gee Man

Fresh Recruit
I suppose, you only ever hear about the bad storys! they probably have many many happy customers!

Thats ture mate!!

Now what shell shall i look out for??? Money is burning a hole in my pocket!!! Which year is best to go for???

I like 1996 i think

jonnyrad

Fresh Recruit
My mate is havin a 3sgte conversion done a "3s" Costing him 4k but theres odds and sods to go on top of that. 2 of my mates are mechanics there too!

Gee Man

Fresh Recruit
My mate is havin a 3sgte conversion done a "3s" Costing him 4k but theres odds and sods to go on top of that. 2 of my mates are mechanics there too!

Yeh i saw it there when i was gettin my clutch fitted about a month ago it looks awesome!!!!! :)

i want it now!!!!!!!