who runs reprofile cams?

350ep70gr

Member +
Hi guys

Yestarday i start my new forge engine for first time. All run smooth exept a small noise (like cams not tensioned each other). The noise goes up with the same frequense of the revs.Same level of noise not more or less but as fast as the revs. Sound from top of the engine and i tryed to make a video but you cant hear it at all through the video. I may take off the rocker cover to see if the cams are tensioned each other well.
I forgot to say that noise is more noticible around the alternator at the back of the engine.
Could a aggresive ramp of the cam lobes give this noise and if this is the case could throw a shim or do any damage?
Apart from that engine is very very very responsive,no missfires,no hesistation and no other problem.:rockon:
Helpfull inputs will be awarded as usuall!;)

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i was thinking its the idle control valve as that tends to do a thicking noise and its near the alternator. but you said the thicking noise went up with revs.. so i guess its not that :S

350ep70gr

Member +
i was thinking its the idle control valve as that tends to do a thicking noise and its near the alternator. but you said the thicking noise went up with revs.. so i guess its not that :S

It isnt the idle valve! I can hear the valve ticking tho.. it is more like a loose timing chain noise if you get what i mean. My cams have a very aggresive ramp and i am thinking that maybe is the problem cause the cam lobes hit the shims more than pressing them progressivly...!

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
It isnt the idle valve! I can hear the valve ticking tho.. it is more like a loose timing chain noise if you get what i mean. My cams have a very aggresive ramp and i am thinking that maybe is the problem cause the cam lobes hit the shims more than pressing them progressivly...!

Chris

ic. dont forget that also forged pistons do a bit of noise.

anyway.. sorry then im not that technical :p

350ep70gr

Member +
ic. dont forget that also forged pistons do a bit of noise.

anyway.. sorry then im not that technical :p

No worries mate :kiss::kiss:! I can hear the ross but for 1-2 min or so ..after this time piston noise is dissapeared totaly! Thank for the willing to help buddy! Apreciate!

Chris

finx

Member +
hard to say as i cant see the engine but these are the things i would be checking:

what were the valve clearances like when you installed the cams? and what type of cams are they? aftermarket or stock?
did you do the trick with the bolt in the intake cam gear?

were there any groves or unevenness in the cam caps ?
is the cam belt tensioned properly? and are the tension-er and idlers new ? check that they arn't flogged out or loose.

doesn't sound like its a cam issue to me, if it was the cams it would do it across the whole top of the engine ie on every cylinder not just by the alternator. i would be doubble checking the clearances.

check everything that is a rotating part on that end of the engine

also check that the cam gear is done up properly (48nm)

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +
hard to say as i cant see the engine but these are the things i would be checking:

what were the valve clearances like when you installed the cams? and what type of cams are they? aftermarket or stock?
did you do the trick with the bolt in the intake cam gear?

were there any groves or unevenness in the cam caps ?
is the cam belt tensioned properly? and are the tension-er and idlers new ? check that they arn't flogged out or loose.

doesn't sound like its a cam issue to me, if it was the cams it would do it across the whole top of the engine ie on every cylinder not just by the alternator. i would be doubble checking the clearances.

check everything that is a rotating part on that end of the engine

Thanks for the quick reply ryan!
The valve clearence when i install the cams was inside specs.
The cams are stock but reprofile.
Yes i did the trick with the bolt for tensioning them each other.
Cam caps was scratch free when i install them.
Cam belt was tensiond by the sping it shelf ang give it just 1mm or so more by hand.
Idler and tensioner and cam belt are new.
I have to check if it come loose again...
You can hear the noise as you stand in the front of the car and as you go from front to the back you can hear it more clearly near the altenator and below the intake mani. It does the noise on all the revs and seems it follows the rev speed.Goes faster as you hit the gas pedal but at the same volume. It is like a loose timing chain noise..
Also was quiter when engine was completly warm...but was there again..!
Thanks for your input!

Chris

finx

Member +
no worries chris

next on the list would be check the alternator bearings... and brushs/slip rings they can cause noises which would directly relate to engine revs. pull the belt off and give it a spin see what happens. should be as easy to turn as a new water pump, which is another thing i would be checking.

if alt seems tight or your unsure take it off and put it in a vice. then spin it up on a rattle gun and see if the noise is present it will be easier to tell with no engine noise next to it muffeling everything.

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +
no worries chris

next on the list would be check the alternator bearings... and brushs/slip rings they can cause noises which would directly relate to engine revs.
I had refurbished the altenator and the starter aswell. I might try it without the belt for a few seconds and check if the altenator cause the noise.
I forgot to say that i use a screwdriver on the rocker cover to hear the noise and i couldnt hear anything mysterius through the screwdriver. I didnt place it on the rocker cover bolts tho and maybe the rocker cover seal gasket had mask the noise.
It was late at night and havent plenty of light to do my checks...just collecting opinions...

Chris

Gtstu

Member +
i have reprofiled cams with solid buckets/one piece shims and its a bit more noisey but also i had a noise that went up with the revs and it turned out to be the bolt that holds the dipstick tube was loose might be worth a look?

finx

Member +
its unlikely that the rocker cover bolt seals/washers would mask a noise/vibration they arent substantial enough to absorb anything great.

good luck with your attempts of finding the man with the hammer :haha:
its always the least convenient time when you go to start a fresh engine and life is made difficult buy outside means.

let us know how you get on

GTstu solid lifters will always be a bit noisier than shim buckets. i would say chris's issue is more than a loose bolt as the noise increases with engine speed. so its likely to be a rotating component that is causing it. deffinatly worth checking though :)

350ep70gr

Member +
i have reprofiled cams with solid buckets/one piece shims and its a bit more noisey but also i had a noise that went up with the revs and it turned out to be the bolt that holds the dipstick tube was loose might be worth a look?

Thanks mate..i will give it a check aswell!

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
its unlikely that the rocker cover bolt seals/washers would mask a noise/vibration they arent substantial enough to absorb anything great.

good luck with your attempts of finding the man with the hammer :haha:
its always the least convenient time when you go to start a fresh engine and life is made difficult buy outside means.

let us know how you get on

GTstu solid lifters will always be a bit noisier than shim buckets. i would say chris's issue is more than a loose bolt as the noise increases with engine speed. so its likely to be a rotating component that is causing it. deffinatly worth checking though :)

LoL i put the shafts and the loom by the afternoon and the battery and when i tryed to purge 2 years old fuel from the tank had no fuel delivery. I could hear the pump but no sign of fuel.. i take off my externall pump and conect it to a batery and was working ,then i tryed to suck from the tank by mouth and hoops nothing...so i take out the tank to reach the pipe that goes inside...(you know what a bitch it is on a ep70 on the back yard without a lifter) and this blocked rusty pipe eat all my time...LOL

GP82

Member +
Tig tig tig tig tag tag tag tag, if everything else is fine, a freshly rebuilt engine will make noise comin' from the head on first startup and it will be the buckets on the lifters. The oil takes a while to lubricate in that part of the engine. Once you got the rocker on, try to hear with a screw driver handle again for the noise, you can also try pouring oil over the cams, lifters, buckets with the rocker off.

Edit, jus' realised they are solid lifters, are they one piece lifter and bucket?

When your car is tuned and ready Chris, i wanna see some drive by vids of this beast!!

350ep70gr

Member +
Tig tig tig tig tag tag tag tag, if everything else is fine, a freshly rebuilt engine will make noise comin' from the head on first startup and it will be the buckets on the lifters. The oil takes a while to lubricate in that part of the engine. Once you got the rocker on, try to hear with a screw driver handle again for the noise, you can also try pouring oil over the cams, lifters, buckets with the rocker off.

Edit, jus' realised they are solid lifters, are they one piece lifter and bucket?

When your car is tuned and ready Chris, i wanna see some drive by vids of this beast!!

well made some noise during the startup till the oil was all over the place. I used a lot of oil before closing the rocker cover and cam lube for the lobes and assemply oil to the cam caps. I will first check the alternator and other anciliarys when i find some time. I tryed with the screwdriver and you can not hear anything if you place it on the rocker cover.(just normal quite noise from the moving parts).
I will upload a video with the start up and the brake in i will use later this week and later at Jenuary how it performs on the debated ct9 1 bar on a stand alone. I need to source some powerflex mounts front and back and 2 front coilovers before hiting the road again as mine are in really bad condition. The lightweight parts and the head work is noticible even in a steady situation.
water cooler ,gt28rs,550cc to come.. ;)

chris

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +
Haven read the whole post bcoz I'm on my phone but it seams like valve clearnce to me

i will recheck the clearence aswell Aze but i am sure i was inside specs when i installed the cams. It isnt the very thin ticking noise that will come from a huge valve clearence gap.It is like timing chain noise.
Thanks for the input.

Chris

BallıGee

Member +
i will recheck the clearence aswell Aze but i am sure i was inside specs when i installed the cams. It isnt the very thin ticking noise that will come from a huge valve clearence gap.It is like timing chain noise.
Thanks for the input.

Chris

is the valve clearence on the on the high or low end of the clearence

what springs are you running