why does my car still fuel cut??/

matt_olive19

Fresh Recruit
i fitted a fcd to my car today modified the actuator went on a test run i got into 3rd gear and let it come on boost i hit 4000rpm it cut ( shit m self lol) engine light came on so i pulled over, light went out adjusted the fuel cut tried again and again it cut a 4k. the boost spiked at nearly 1.3bar but should only be running 1bar. any ideas? also just to make sure which wire on the 16 pin plug to the ecu is the turbo pressure sensor? colour?

cheers matt

sorry its a 1996 EP91

monka

Member +
what setting do you have the fcd at? you are running a rrfpr on it yeah? cus if your not, wait a couple of weeks and you can replace the engine, also, you got a new manifold?

check the hoses going to the actuator? do you still have the hi low boost solinoid attached?

Last edited:

monka

Member +
tbh mate, take everything off, run standard boost, get a rrfpr,
then get it set up by a professional, otherwise you'll come on here wondering why your engine has blown up in a couple of weeks, and be adding to the bad reputation these cars are getting due to people not modifying them properly

matt_olive19

Fresh Recruit
I'm unsure to what fcd it is. a friend of mine tune's evo's for a living and has dealt with a few ep82's and ep91's inbetween he assures me that i dont need an fpr or a manifold or de-cat for the power i'm aiming for no more than 180bhp and TBH if the engine blew tomorrow you cant put that down to not having any of the above, i only asked on here to see if anybody had sufferd these problems and if someone could confirm the correct colour for the signal wire. and as said it's back to standard as i recognise there is a problem somewhere im not stupid and i aint got shit loads of money so i would'nt continue to run it how it is.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
If its an HKS FCD setting it to the max ie 12 will mean it won't do anything, it should be set at 8.

You can see where it should be wired here from the pin out diagram;
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=20491

As above though you should also have some sort of fuelling or you may risk running lean, especially if your spiking to 1.3bar, but then again how can you be hitting 1.3bar if your hitting fuel cut?!:homer:

Also you won't make anywhere near 180bhp without a decat or mani.
Is your mate Pete Beemer of autofixed?

monka

Member +
mate, the engine will blow if you run at 1bar with no fuelling mods, the ecu can only fuel to 0.8 bar, YOU WILL blow the engine mate,

not saying your mate is a cunt, but evo's dont fuel cut as low as starlets, and even above fuel cut for them, they still melt engines with out management, i know at least 3 that have.

monka

Member +
oh n how by asking and attempting to do what im doing am i dragging the reputation of the car down?

ever heard of the renault 5? typically thought of as an unreliable car? it isnt, just as reliable as one of these, but people came along turned the boost up with out doing anything else and blew the engines.

ever heard of the renault 5? typically thought of as an unreliable car? it isnt, just as reliable as one of these, but people came along turned the boost up with out doing anything else and blew the engines.

It does have a nastly habbit of blowing Headgaskits on anything other than std boost..

monka

Member +
yeah, because people in adaquatly tune them, 5's blow headgaskets, and the starlet melt engines if you turn up the boost with out proper mods.

froshtyv

Member +
Just coz your friend knows about evo doesnt mean its the same for a starlet,

Evos can boost 1.6 bar on a standard engine ffs,

Say good by to your engine if you go boosting high!!

Who put in your FCD, its def wired wrong by the sounds of it!!

GTnomez

Member +
im aiming for 1 bar on my 1996 ep82, i currently have:
front mount
s/s manifold
decat
full exhaust system
air filter behind the headlight
HKS fcd ( not wired in)
Jam SLD ( not wired)
Rrfpr on the way
next will be the hks actuator and walbro feul pump

is that all i need to run 1 bar on my ct9? my ep82 is 1996 so will it be a pin type actuator?

cole

Member +
I'm unsure to what fcd it is. a friend of mine tune's evo's for a living and has dealt with a few ep82's and ep91's inbetween he assures me that i dont need an fpr or a manifold or de-cat for the power i'm aiming for no more than 180bhp and TBH if the engine blew tomorrow you cant put that down to not having any of the above, i only asked on here to see if anybody had sufferd these problems and if someone could confirm the correct colour for the signal wire. and as said it's back to standard as i recognise there is a problem somewhere im not stupid and i aint got shit loads of money so i would'nt continue to run it how it is.

no ones having a go at u...
there only advising you
people have owned starlets for years on this forum and no what there talking about

its up to you if you wana take our advice or not
just expect a " i told you so " when you come back in a few week asking for a new engine

matt_olive19

Fresh Recruit
sorry if ive come across a bit rum i was having a really bad day when i posted this thread and i apologise for doing so i had a faster car for about 10mins then back to standard so i was abit gutted, it is also quite difficult to decide on what to do to my car with so many varied opinions.

as for the motor i'm now running standard boost levels, i've had the FCD checked and is defo wired in to the correct pin on ecu have ordered myself a sard FPR + gauge also a 255 walbro fuel pump to go with it. what sort of fuel pressure should i need to run a bar? and also what is the highest level of boost i can safely run on stock internals?

is there anything else fueling wise i should look at?

cheers