Why? Why? Why?

braindamage

Member +
Hey guys ,last year i broke my third gear ,got another set of gears ,placed them in my case and broke the same third gear again. I got me another gear box and i opned it just to put in my TRD LSD.Wedneday morning i was out driving a bit hard but not hammering any gears when the third gear broke again .Has anyone expirience this? or can anyone explain what can be happening? :confused:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Does it completly strip the gear or is it some other failure your talking about?

Whats power/torque are you running?

Have you been replacing the entire box or getting it rebuilt each time? Have you definatly been using GT/Glanza boxes when replacing or are you using NA parts?

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Sounds like something must have a slight kink in it which is puttin pressure where not wanted then it gives out..

Was gonna say ya box might be warped but you changed that an all gears, so what about your TRD LSD??? That might be worn with out you being able to see, might be worth sending off to get it checked seeing as its always breaking third gear...

braindamage

Member +
I have been using Gt parts and the last time i used a complete gearbox .I cant see how the lsd is causing only third gear to brake.I am not too sure about the power output of the car but she is a well moded 5efthe running a td05 big 16g.Oh i fogot to mention i had a 4 puck springless speedvision clutch and the pilot shaft ripped out all the splines in the clutch ,then i changed it to another speedvision 4 puck sprung and dat too busted the revets.I then changed to a ACT 4 puck sprung with and extreem p/plate ,it ripped out the rivets again ,changed it to another ACT and she workin fine so far.I honestly think i have a power /gearbox problem

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Sounds like you might be driving beyond the capabilities of the drivetrain. Do you race it or be brutally harsh on her?

Third gear is the weak point, only ever blew one before though running around 420hp, fixed it and upped the power to 440hp and never had any more problems and all I did was race her.

Flat shifting into third will kill it quickly.

braindamage

Member +
I dont do any of this stuff (flat shift or launch) but i do run her hard and everytime the gear broke ,it was never during shifting .It was always when i have gotten off the clutch and flat out on the pedal

Jay

Admin
Did Aga not have this problem in the past, it rings bells but I can't quite remember details.

Only going on foggy memory from the old forum days..

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Oh and Spuddy it completely strips the gears on the pilot shaft and some on the counter shaft>

its a common problem, when you strip the 3rd gear, the gbox is telling you it cant handle the torque, basically either change ur clutch setup to something different, say either a carbon sprung clutch, a slippery sprung clutch system (purely for drag)... or dont flat shift... apart from that you only option involves alot of work and the solution is modding a gearbox off a 4age to fit.

spuddy is right the weakpoint in the system is the 3rd gear...

kon

nyahbingi

Member +
From personal experience a 6 puck spring loaded ACT comboed with the Extreme Pressure plate will solve your problems.

braindamage

Member +
I got a 4 puck spring loaded with an extreme pressure plate .What will be different between the 4 and the 6 in terms of the 3rd gear breaking? Hey Hybrid, how would u go about modding a 4age box to fit my GT?

Does it completly strip the gear

been there done that a few time's it stripped both gears wasnt kaining it at the time ither but my box did have a whine
when i got my next one built the guy that did it said there was a harder 3rd gear installed in the donerbox made of better/harder stuff ??
has anyone hear of this ?? it was a glanza box that was used for the doner

Last edited: