Why wont my external wastegate open!

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
Hi guys - fitted my new TM Developments TD04 kit which has an external wastegate setup over the weekend ready for mapping today but have a major problem which has meant I have not been able to map my car. I cannot get the external wastegate to open. The boost is uncontrollable! I want to run it for now at about 1.1bar but it seems no matter how I plumb it it wont open. To see when it would open I connected a pipe from the turbo comp cover to the bottom port on the wastegate and gave it a run and briefly hitting 1.5bar it still didnt open?? Surely that method would provide the minimum boost available. Has anyone got one of the kits running about a bar? If so how? Could the spring in the wastegate be too strong? Im going to ring Dave tomorrow to ask his advice but something just doesnt seem right.

Please help! Ive gotta wait another 2 weeks to get it mapped now :-(

Mike

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
What spring is in the EWG? if you run a vac line from the bottom of the wastegate to the comp housing then it should be boosting to spring pressure

weakboy2

Member +
yep, take the wastegate off and see if you can push the valve open with your thumbs, IIRC they didnt look like a branded wastegate what comes with his kit, so TBH would be well worth upgrading to a turbosmart or Tial for peace of mind anyways, i know i would despite the extra cost.

Also might be worth dismantling the wastegate as it may have more than one spring in it, if so you can take one of them out to lower the pressure.

Morph

Member +
My cars got a td04 kit from dave but ive got a avc-r on it aswell my vac line from comp housing goes to the bottom port of the external wastegate and t's off to the boost soleniod and then from the soleniod goes back to the top port of the external if that makes sense and i know mine has a 1.0bar spring fitted from mapping session at afr if you want pics i might be able to post them up for you mike.

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
thanks for the quick replies guys. The EWG is unbranded I think.

Mike@TD - yes thats why I tried that but even then its silly high, unlimited in fact cos it didnt open so no idean what spring could be doing that!

Chris - might have to mate - I cannot get my head round it unless the spring is way to hard but why would Dave supply it if so??

weakboy - Before installation I did try to push it open with my thumbs but couldnt budge it. Dont think I would take it apart though. Not had one before so wouldnt be confident enough!!

Morph - any pics would be great mate - can only help!

Johnny C - its the EWG Dave supplies with his TD04 kits mate

Mike

weakboy2

Member +
sounds like its jammed. i could open my turbosmart with my thumbs, but that was a 0.4bar spring, so they are very tough to budge!

I would still get a tial or turbosmart if you can, last thing you want is the EWG sticking on you :(

Morph

Member +
Ok mate ill try and sort them first thing tomoz as its dark now and ive gota do a few bits on the car so ill post some pics up while im at it.

danturbo4311

Member +
So you connected your boost source (from the compressor housing) for the wastegate to open into its side port, is the top port open to vent to atmosphere, have you tried winding the spring off abit, you havent got any boost controller connected either have you, what size vacuum pipe you using?

Starbus

Member +
My cars got a td04 kit from dave but ive got a avc-r on it aswell my vac line from comp housing goes to the bottom port of the external wastegate and t's off to the boost soleniod and then from the soleniod goes back to the top port of the external if that makes sense and i know mine has a 1.0bar spring fitted from mapping session at afr if you want pics i might be able to post them up for you mike.

Sounds like you've got the boost control solenoid the wrong way around.

First thing to do is just plumb the bottom directly to the turbo. This should give you 1 bar.

Try that then i'l tell you which ports you need to connect up on the AVCR's solenoid. It isn't the same as using an actuator.

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
So you connected your boost source (from the compressor housing) for the wastegate to open into its side port, is the top port open to vent to atmosphere, have you tried winding the spring off abit, you havent got any boost controller connected either have you, what size vacuum pipe you using?

yes mate to test the spring pressure I connected a vac line from the comp housing to the side/bottom port of the EWG and the top port was just venting - didnt open. Not sure what you mean by winding the spring off - I dont think its adjustable. It was originally plumbed in with a MBC but when that had no effect on boost I just ran it from the turbo to the EWG with no success.

Hopefully its just something stupid ive done but what!!

weakboy2

Member +
Have you got access to a Mityvac at work? if so whip the gate off and hook it up to the vac tool and see if it holds vacuum, plus you will be able to see if it opens or not buddy

Deffo sounds faulty

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
to me it seems either the EWG is jammed, the spring is waaayyy too hard or it is not getting any pressure to it.

The little ports that are on the EWG are not attached when you take the EWG out the box and there are no instructions. Basically there is a bolt with a hole in then a banjo style connector with the spout on that you connect the vac pipe to. Stupidly when you put the bolt through the banjo spout and screw it into the EWG to the end of its thread it doesnt hold the banjo/spout tight to the EWG! So I had to find a washer to space the banjo out in order to make the connection tight when the bolt threads as far as it goes into the EWG. Could this be stopping the air going into the EWG? Do they need to be at a specific rotation/height to channel the air into the EWG? I didnt think so as the pressure would go round the banjo connector and find its way into the hole no matter where it was position wise?

weakboy2

Member +
I reckons thats the problem, not trying to be patronising, just trying to throw ideas in the bowl. Have yout maybe got the bolts/banjo fittings on the wrong way?

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
I reckons thats the problem, not trying to be patronising, just trying to throw ideas in the bowl. Have yout maybe got the bolts/banjo fittings on the wrong way?

No not at all and very possibly mate Im just trying to think logically as I have no experience of EWG's and have nothing to reference against in terms of instructions or another car!!

Problem is I cannot see another way of doing it! There was only a banjo style spout and bolt with hole in supplied x2. With the bolt going through the banjo and screwing as far as the thread goes into the EWG it did not hold it tight at all so I used a washer to space it which may be the problem??? Problem is I was expecting to have 2 washers per banjo fitting supplied which go either side of the banjo but there was nothing in the box so had to improvise. Now I dont know how to position/attach it correctly.

weakboy2

Member +
Yeah that sounds a bit odd, i would have thought the banjo fittings would have had a copper washer on both sides too, is that how you have arranged it?

I dont know what else to suggest as my turbo smart just came with some threaded unions tat i just put some PTFE on the threads and screwed them in! :(

Mike you should have rung me mate, there should be 2 washers per banjo bolt and you should be able to push the valve up by hand. Sounds like it may be faulty mate. Do you want me to send another out, have one here, just tested it and it works fine. let me know or ring me tomorrow