wierd poppin noise

turbo-fever

Member +
right heres the thing was at full chat in 3rd gear the other day and suddenly my car sounded like it popped a few times then stopped but dont know why any one have any ides

turbo-fever

Member +
but i thought fuel cut would be bit like speed cut, it hesitated a lil while poppin, it popped a few times then cariied on goin

thefalls

Member +
I also get that a few times....goes like a loud 'pop' n then normal exhaust sound...i think its just a bout of overfuelling n nothing else....
i dont have much mods.....just airfliter,2"5 exhaust,MBC at 11.5PSI with adjustable actuator n gutted cat [waiting on the dowpipe]....

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Can't believe you have done all those mods and don't know what the fuel cut or a misfire is!?

Anyway your spec says you have a JAM FCD so it shouldn't of been the fuel cut, therefore it was possibly a missfire, where the car backfires due to the spark form the plugs not being produced properly or at the correct time.

This can be due to dodgy leads, plugs dizzy cap or rotor arm, so an inspection of these could be called for.

Otherwise are you sure you didn't just bounce of the limiter!:p

supernova

Member +
Sounds like backfire to me? my exhaust pops alot too, due to a bit of overfuelling I think. Pretty sure its quite harmless, right?

turbo-fever

Member +
thats wat i fault it might have been but why do it wen i relocate my air filter also it dosent pop a lot twice in 2 days

C

CaL

since i put diesel in my gt it now pops more it higher revs....sounds wicked....

Deano

Banned
And by putting Diesel into your gt you will also be damaging the engine as it's not designed for Diesel why would you even think about putting Diesel in????? lol

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Diesel?!?!? Anyhow...

@ turbo-feaver, I would expect you've run a lot of boost due to relocating your air filter. Do you have a boost gauge and if so what readings have you seen. I can imagine you've relocated the filter, classic boost creep scenario where the wastegate simple can’t get rid of the excess pressure, you've then run infinity boost where the turbo keeps spooling without a preset limit (well it has a limit but the wastegate can’t physically expel the exhaust gases) and you have possibly done some damage.

It's hard to speculate at this point but it's a possibility. Where are you at now, does the car run, not start, grind etc etc, the more info the better..

Thanks,

T

gayan_GT

Lifer
i have the same problem but it only happens when i depress the accelerator pedal all the way down... its starts to hit something like fuel cut and POP BANG!!! it keeps on going on ... i think its somethingy to do with electronics... like battery and alternator i think... cos me car was running ok last night and all of a sudden my bat stopped charging and this happened...

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
If you meant your car is still working after this happened then as gayan mentioned a likely cause is the alternator, the car momentairly runs lean on boost when the alternator runs out of puff hence you get a bang. Test the charge of the alternator, if it's low it's worth getting it refurbed. If your not even getting boost creep then a probable cause. There is also a check sequence of lights that illuminate on the dash when the alternator is near dead which i'll find out for you has happened to me a while back also.

Weak alternators are a problem on quite a few starlet considering the age and the amount of electornics most of us run.

Thanks,

T