Will cams make a difference??

dee23388

Member +
As the above there, looking on how to get a bit more out of my car without forging it. Car is td04 and has all supporting mods.

goldenvtr

Member +
depends what your after, but yea they will make a diffrence but now alot for the ££ they cost, IMO there better to spend money elsewhere

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
As without one the stock ECU won't know what is going on and you won't be able to make the best use of the cams. What is the current engine spec of your car? Let us know everything :)

T

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
hahahah, i like it!!! no seriously ive wondered this also, about cams I dont know much about them either........

turbojim

Lifer
Im just wonderin are 5efhe cams good enough to take high hp? as im going forgin one and i am in between minds on uprated ones or not

Toby@ToyTuning.com

The 5e's are a mild upgrade over the stock 4efte cams, I'm not 100% sure on the duration or extra lift let me do some searching as we usually use pipers or new billets. Give me 5

T

Toby@ToyTuning.com

hahahah, i like it!!! no seriously ive wondered this also, about cams I dont know much about them either........

In basic with uprated cams (pending on the parameters of the cams) the valves will be kept open for longer which in turn means you can get even more air/fuel mixture into the engine. If you can then burn all of this and exhaust the waste gases through your exhaust valves (as they're now open for a longer period) then the result will be that you get more torque which with revs means greater power. That's the gist really although cam specs will play a huge part.

T

tom_hunt

Member +
I had some done with Toby not so long ago. They made a differnce in the top end power. Really agressive! Thats all I can say lol

As for the Torque improvement, it only made a bit of differnce but you no its there :)

Tom

Sigma

Member +
Can you get some which make your car idle shit and sound like a rally car?

lol, sorry for the childish input, but I really like lumpy idling :D

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Yeah you can lol but on a turbo car you really don't want to go mad. If HRF can produce in excess of 400hp with nothing madder than 256 In/Ex and 8mm of lift then I don't personally see the need too either but each car/engine/requirement will be different. We've had customers trying to run 282 with 9mm of lift and in the end they have gone back to 256 as they just loose so much response.

I can't find the specs of the stock 5e cams anyone got them?

Also thanks for input Tom..

T

Dave.

Member +
On hubbygt's Glanza, the idle is really noticable Sigma, so yes (but it depends on the severity of the cam's really)

Dave

tom_hunt

Member +
Yeah my mates old XR2 used to have a real lumpy idle and would soem times cut out. I used to love the sound of it.

Mine idles fine. Just sits normal

Tom

Toby@ToyTuning.com

You should here the KP61 Tom that runs 280's (is NA so not compairable) with a straight through s/s exhaust and no silencers, being NA you don't loose the sound like you do with turbo cars.

It's sick! Idle sounds amazing!

T

tom_hunt

Member +
You should here the KP61 Tom that runs 280's (is NA so not compairable) with a straight through s/s exhaust and no silencers, being NA you don't loose the sound like you do with turbo cars.

It's sick! Idle sounds amazing!

T

You'll have to post a video!! I used to love my mates XR2. NA cars always sound wicked when theyv had a set of uprated cams in. A lad round my way has a 306 GTI6 and that sounds fucking wicked!!!

Tom