Windscreen wipers. How good are yours & what do you use?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Hope this is the right section, is debatable lol.

My windscreen wipers are shit. They dont sit on the screen flush, they just about clear the water off. Using OE wipers and the usual arms.

Do the arms somehow need adjusting? I gave it a go, but the arms just screw onto those spinning spindal things and thats it.

Can i get good quality wipers that fit onto those old school looking arm fittings that i have?

Help!!

LEwis :)

Jay

Admin
My daily has got a fresh set of genuine Toyota blades every year and I'd use nothing else. They come with fittings and new screws so fitment isn't an issue plus they are only around a tenner.

Only reason they don't last longer is that the winters down here are harsh especially with the salt in the sea air.

Jay

Jay

Admin
Just thinking, check that the springs on the inside of your wiper arms are in good condition. I've only seen one actually break but they can rust and weaken. That would reduce the tension on the blade/screen surface.

Also noticed that at higher speeds wipers will benefit from a spoiler.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Thanks guys. Guess ill just grab some fresh Toyota ones then. I just dont think the arms are making the blades sit correctly on the screen. Maybe i should lube up the springs a bit just to make sure they are not ceasing up or something.

Jay

Admin
A set of fresh wiper arms stung me around £60 for my mk1 so probably a bit more than you're wanting to spend mate. That was six years ago so costs will have crept up slightly. I've seen a few UK cars with the hooked end type arms but haven't investigated the part numbers etc.

malcolmgt

Member +
Lewis i had the monmster ones on my motor, were ok for about a month then went pants.
opie man got me an epic rear one.

anyone know the lengths of the fronts?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Are yours the screw on type for the fronts mate? Those annoying two tiny screws that attach the wipers to the arms....

malcolmgt

Member +
Are yours the screw on type for the fronts mate? Those annoying two tiny screws that attach the wipers to the arms....

think mine just clip in an out.. pretty sure as we took them off the other day and sprayed them.... i remember you saying no one sprays the arms

edit - yes do have a tiny screw from the arm to the wiper bit aswell.