Wiring in Boost Gauge Light...

riko666

Member +
Well I have a soldering iron so figured, may as well do it myself, though I am helpless with electrics. Anyway, I figured the best connection to go for this would be from the headlight switch so that the boost gauge lights up only when the headlights are on...

So...where's the wire, and how do I go about it...just solder on the wire to the headlight wire from the stalk? Sorry if I sound like a disaster waiting to happen...I never really attended my electronics module at uni :p

sx_turbo

Lifer
hey riko have you still got the loom for the stereo in place?

there is a wire that ran to the standard stereo purely for lights, so that when you turned on your side or headlights on the stereo would light up, look for this and use this wire, i think that would be the best one to use.

(the above is on gt wiring looms, not sure about the later vehicles)

riko666

Member +
where would this wire be coming from? the issue I had is that my stereo wires had obviously been chopped, they were a mess, so wouldn't know if I were cutting a power cable or the red cable to a detonator that would proceed to blowing my car up into pieces...though that would be thoroughly welcome

benGT

Member +
Easier to use than the headlight wire is the cigarette lighter wire dude. much eaier to find and wire up to. Dont ask me which one it is though!

sx_turbo

Lifer
get a multi meter set it to 20volts, check all the wires to find your permanent live, mark out the permanent live so you know not to use that one. then turn your ignition on and do the same again so you can find the ignition on live, mark it and put it to one side.

leave the ignition on and turn the lights on the next wire you find with 12 volts going through it will be the one you want.

as i said though i dont know if the later vehicles had this same wire.