Writing free 4e-fte manaul

mctagart

Member +
I am in the middle of writing a manual for the EP82, EP91 4E-FTE Starlet, its coming along nicely. Been after a manual for this car for ages that was free and covered EVERYTHING.

I have been compiling every walkthrough ever made for this car, credit given where its due to the authors and sticking it all in one book!

So far i have covered

----------------------------------------
Contents
Brief

Introduction to the Toyota Starlet GT Turbo

FAQ

Boost Creep, what is it, understanding it, causes and solutions.

Service Intervals

Oil filter removal and oil change
Oil change interval guidelines
Cambelt replacement guidelines

Schematics (exploded diagrams)

EP82 Electrical system (diagrams)
EP82 Bodywork (diagrams)
EP82 Engine Schematics(diagrams)
Drivetrain, suspension and brakes

Specifications

Car Specifications
Torque Specifications
Toyota and Denso injector specs and codes
CT9 Turbo gaskets, part numbers and prices
Top End exploded diagram reference “head removal”
Head torque down guide (diagram) reference “head removal”

Maintenance/Modifications

Boost Gauge fitting
HKS Actuator setup and installation
Thermostat replacement
Coolant change
Spark plug guide
EPC Part numbers online
Recondition engine parts required guide
Running in procedure
Timing Adjustment (light method)
Blow off Valve (BOV) Aka Dump Valve removal and clean (aftermarket part)
How to remove and repaint your rocker cover
How to install an performance fuel pressure regulator (RRFPR)
Fitting a Walbro fuel pump
Hi/Low Solenoid Bypass
Aircon Removal p.44

Engine/Fuelling/Turbo

Injector removal
Timing belt removal
Water pump removal
Fuel pump removal
Fuel filter removal
Rocker cover removal
Replacing the PCV Valve
Manifold and Turbo removal
Porting the wastegate
Adjusting the power steering and alternator belt
Head removal from engine block
Piston removal
Removing a complete engine with gearbox

Transmission

Brakes and Suspension

Body equipment

Reference

Index
------------------

Its taking ages to compile it all, above is what i have written on so far, tons moer to go, but at the end your gonna have a manual that is free for everyone, lists how to strip everything and what i like especially is that unlike Haynes it will cover the modified scene, so walkthoughs on how to modify your engine etc to get performance gains.

Lol i have been working on it all week in work, lucky i work in IT :) its up to 140 pages already!

Craig

Last edited:

mctagart

Member +
Once its finished i'll let you know, just pm on here if you would like a copy, will most likely be in .pdf format when its done.

Its gonna be massive though due to the number of colour pictures in it for the walkthrough, but it will be worth it.

I should be able to host it free too so everyone can get it, better still i would like to constantly add to it, so if anyone has a new write ups which are not in the finished version, msg me and I will add your fame to the book for all to see :)

Cheers

Craig

Last edited:

mctagart

Member +
nice one guys, there is so much good info on this site but it can be difficult to locate sometimes, and having one source for it all is great as it includes stock repair as well as aftermarket parts replacement.

I am busy writing it all up at the moment and formatting the pictures etc, will worry about the grammer and and punctuation later lol, it wouldnt be possible to do in the first place without everyones help but useful to everyone.

mctagart

Member +
yeah its full of pictures!

I'll keep updating the contents page so you know where i am with it, i have nearly finished the engine section, 100+ pages!

richglanzav

Member +
mate cud u put a special section for building a performance 4efte? and a 5e? with forged internals, all other upgraded parts etc. i would buy a manual off u in a shot.

mctagart

Member +
I'll see what i can do, if somone else has done a write up on a forged conversion i'll stick it in, but i do not have any information on it at this time, as i need pictures etc to do it as a walkthough, Will keep my eyes peeled :)

If anyone has anything which is not listed in the index and wishes it to be added, msg me and i'll put it in.

I think once i have the content sorted, i'll move onto guides for the modifications. I.e how to make a stock car run 180bhp on 1 bar, what mods etc you need to do it safely.

Forged conversions would be shit hot if i could do a walkthough on it. I do have a spare engine out of my car which has no compression on cylinder no.1 so i could make it a project to forge it, and document how i did it.

Last edited: