insuring as non-turbo?

John89

Fresh Recruit
has anyone had any experience of insuring gt's as a non turbo? ive heard of loads of boys doing it over the years but was never talking to anyone who acually done it. My tax book says the cars a toyota starlet 1.3 (doesnt give a model) what should I say to the insurance company if I was to do this, do I have to give a model? i.e do I have to lie and say its a gli or something or will they be happy enough with just the details on the tax book (starlet 1.3)
Also if I wasnt to do this who would insure me.. im only 18, have one years named driving experience and will be gettin insured under my mums name who has 5 years no claims? And last question lol what insurance group are the gt's cant find it anywhere? thanks lol :p

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
You should allways insure a car as the car it is, if you do insure it as a Non-turbo and you get into an accident or knock somone down then the insurance company will not pay out and will also take you to court for insurance fraud.

If you Cannot insure it as a turbo then Tough Shit basically. You cant get insurance.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
so your fronting and lying about the car your insuring? why even bother insuring it at all? because by doing that your not insured anyway.

Dazwin

Member +
sometimes some people really shouldnt ask such stupid questions, you might aswell call up the insurance company and say:

[sarcasm]"Hi my names john i got a starlet turbo but i took the turbo off *snigger*, im going to be the main driver but my moms going to the main insurer with me as a named driver, hope this is ok with yourselfs"[/sarcasm]

*starlet_babe*

Member +
Just to make clear what fronting is, just in case you don't understand :)

Basically putting your mum as the policyholder/main driver when in fact you will be the one using the car.

Now if you put your mum as the policyholder and u as the main driver its not fronting but they will rate the insurance on your age as you are the youngest

Also need to clarify with insurer who needs to be the owner of the car! otherwise again it will be down as your mum and the insurance made invalid because of this.

This kinda is a bit pointless really, so best suggestion we can give is to find insurance in your own name (it won't be cheap!) and perhaps add your mum/dad on a named driver this may bring the cost down(it did with mine but prob varies insurer to insurer).

And if you honestly cant afford to insure the car in your own name as its far to much are you gonna be able to afford to run the gt? Think you need to consider what you are doing! Failing that buy something else to build up your ncb first! Any named driver experience you have is unlikely to be of any use unless it was in your insurance policy.

Hope this helps!

Od dazwin hun put your claws away! Perhaps the poor lad doesn't understand! :)

Sammie x

Last edited:

alan_d

Lifer
Your named driver experience will help you in insurance!

You tell the insurer that you where named driver on your mums or whoever it was policy for a year and they can give you an intro bonus of that one year! It will only give you 35% discount but at least its something.

And tell them that it is a gt turbo! Because your 18 you probably wont get insurance on it but if you do ur probably looking around £2-£3k as your a young male driver!

Just talking from an insurance advisor as this is my job! Some company are different but anyway Good Luck.

Leanne :)

John89

Fresh Recruit
my mum is the registered owner of the car its not registered under my name. No need to be a stain dazwin im just asking for advice I know of loads of people who have had gt's over the year and insured them as non-turbos and got away with it. Yes your fucked if you crash im aware of that but if the police pull you over and ask for insurance it still works. Basically Im just asking do I need to give a model when telling them the car details or do I just have to tell them what it states on the tax book (toyota starlet 1.3)
Also who offers the best prices for young males on these cars I am currently with quinn direct but I have been told they do not insure drivers under 21 on starlet gt's?

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
has anyone had any experience of insuring gt's as a non turbo? ive heard of loads of boys doing it over the years but was never talking to anyone who acually done it. My tax book says the cars a toyota starlet 1.3 (doesnt give a model) what should I say to the insurance company if I was to do this, do I have to give a model? i.e do I have to lie and say its a gli or something or will they be happy enough with just the details on the tax book (starlet 1.3)
Also if I wasnt to do this who would insure me.. im only 18, have one years named driving experience and will be gettin insured under my mums name who has 5 years no claims? And last question lol what insurance group are the gt's cant find it anywhere? thanks lol :p

you come onto an owners forum, say your willing to wrongly insure a car and expect us to help you out? lol.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
It's not worth it, worse case you could kill someone and they could sue you are your family and make you penniless over night, people loose houses from this kind of thing. Not trying to be a stick in the mud really am not just it's best to get everything done legit.

Insurance wise try Elephant I used them when I was younger before having trade insurance.

T

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
John you've been told its illegal yet you continue to ask about it. Insuring a turbo'd car as a non-turbo isn't legal. Yes you have to tell them the model of the car. And don't try to "get away with it" because thats only something an absolute cock would do.

Dazwin

Member +
my mum is the registered owner of the car its not registered under my name. No need to be a stain dazwin im just asking for advice I know of loads of people who have had gt's over the year and insured them as non-turbos and got away with it. Yes your fucked if you crash im aware of that but if the police pull you over and ask for insurance it still works. Basically Im just asking do I need to give a model when telling them the car details or do I just have to tell them what it states on the tax book (toyota starlet 1.3)
Also who offers the best prices for young males on these cars I am currently with quinn direct but I have been told they do not insure drivers under 21 on starlet gt's?

fair enough im new but im not being a stain as u so put it, your wanting to lie on your insurance to get it cheaper as people have said if you cant afford it dont do it, it may well say on log book tax or what ever its a starlet 1.3 but its got a turbo on there, you get caught your fooked end of, the police are also not that stupid when they hear u pull away n hear it dump they gona no it aint a 1.3 starlet.

so to end it really, YES you do need to tell your insurance company that its a 1.3 turbo

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Well if the car is insured my your mother and in her name then it will be her that is liable for any " Insurance Fraud " charges that will be brought against the policy or the car holder. Insurance companies in general will go to town on you if you do get caught with an illegally/wrongly insured car. you or to be more specific the policy holder can and will face a jail sentence.

dac69er

Super Moderator
its not just if you crash. its who you crash into. you hit a bugatti veyron and they find out youve wrongly insured it and therefore have no insurance, quess who has to foot the repar bill????? (hint; its not the insurance company or the other party)

gv1.3

Admin
this has been covered many times on here before. If you insure your car as a non-turbo then you are not insured simple as that. And as for "getting away with it" ... I have been stopped on numerous occassions and asked to produce my full insurance cert to prove it says turbo on it and not just a starlet... the police are aware of this activity.

Now I see that you are young and you are having issues getting insured on your car, we have all been there, but at the end of the day if you cant get insured or cannot afford the insurance then sell the car and get something you can put on the road legally.

John89

Fresh Recruit
ok so thats that answered lol.. who would be the best insurer to go to to insure it as a turbo then? im 18 have a years named driviing experience, and will be going under my mums name what sort of quotes do yous recon Il be looking at? Oh and what insurance group actually are they does anyone know?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
the insurance companies will probably say "does you're phone do this? *click*"

You'll struggle getting quotes at 18 mate and if you do they'll take your trousers down.

John89

Fresh Recruit
what you mean? the car is registered under my mums name and she will be the policy holder and main driver. I done this with my last 2 cars and never had any bother. Cheers Johnny C will do have been with quinn for over a year now and havnt had any claims hopefully they will insure me