meshed turbo

Rich

Member +
It might have been asked before but couldnt find it. what are the advantages of meshing the turbo and is it safe to do so. Any point overall?

thanks, Rich

Deano

Banned
If you mesh the turbo the mesh will get really hot and crumble and could result in tiny fragments of mesh entering the turbo and damaging it

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Yeah got to agree is not the best solution, i have done it on mince for the time being untill i relocate to the bumper area, space is really tight.

IMG_1657.jpg

Kelly

Member +
If you mesh the turbo the mesh will get really hot and crumble and could result in tiny fragments of mesh entering the turbo and damaging it

Well the k24 turbo has been meshed for 4 years at least and i can say the mesh hasnt 'crumbled'.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.

never heard of this theory, you could always put some good stainles mesh. if you use it in dusty areas i wouldnt recomend mesghing it as it will suck everything.

Deano

Banned
Heard of a guy that meshed the turbo on his skyline the mesh got sucked into the turbo and stuffed the whole turbo unit up and cost him alot to be rebuilt

59bhp

Member +
a lot of people do it and have no problems at all with it,

me personally am not sure about having an extremely course "filter" right next to something that spins at over 50,000rpm, has very fine tolerances and bearings that have a tendances to fail at the best of times. After all would any of you stick a max power branded filter on the end of your turbo?

But like i said a lot of people do it without any problems, i think it will be more long term issues if anything

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
lol the theories some ppl come up with is impressive lol..

lets put it this way, in malta almost everybody runs filterless.. i have yet to see a turbo get damaged cause mesh is used...

iv had mesh on my turbos for the past 4years... never had a single problem, & malta is pretty dusty.. still no wear or dmg on the turbo :)

Dan3SGTE

Member +
the mesh wont go anywhere providing its clamped in place correctly...

Crumbled??? WTF? Ever heard of good/heat resistive material?

Fishy89GT

Banned
Heard of a guy that meshed the turbo on his skyline the mesh got sucked into the turbo and stuffed the whole turbo unit up and cost him alot to be rebuilt

thats most probs because he didnt clamp it well...

cant see any probs with it, as long as its nice and tight...jap drag cars dont even run mesh, just fully open ;)

nicmcs4

Member +
im just curious as to why no one has said anything bout the air temps being sucked into turbo when using mesh,
as in if using the mesh it will suck in whatever air is around it at the time which could be very hot, i would have thought that a fairly coarse filter relocated to a source of colder air would be better then mesh.

Timmy

Member +
The turbo is mounted sideways so something big getting sucked in is unlikely plus the mesh protects the turbo, what you really should be worried about is what is getting sucked into the engine. Best to run a filter.