Which Oil Filter?

Jay

Admin
This is just a reference thread for the parts bible I'm stringing together. Feel free to discuss and add to the below options.

Genuine Toyota Oil filter

The measuring stick against which all others are measured.

Part number : 90080-91045
Price: £8.23

oilfilterdv5.jpg

SARD Oil Filter

An upgrade over the stock filter this unit features an improved paper filter design coupled with a magnetic filtration system.

Results in a cleaner oil flow than stock.

th_Sardoilfilter.jpg

GREDDY Oil filter

I've only a picture so far:

oilfilter_o.jpg

TRD Sports Oil Filter

Advantages include:

- Thicker casing to reduce heatsoak
- Increased filtration (by 45% over stock)
- Increased flowrate of oil

All of the above means and increased flow of cleaner, cooler oil circulating your engine.

oil_filter.jpg

Power Enterprise MAG Oil Filter

Regarded as the 'best bar none' by many retailers this filter incorporates a powerful magnetic filtration system to offer increased service life.

oilfilter.jpg

Luke.R

Member +
I myself only bother with the standard one becuase I change my oil every 2000 miles, so I see no need for a fancy magnetic one, but each to there own.

Gee

Member +
For me, every aftermarket one above will be better than using stock.

I currently use TRD filters, however for added protection I may switch to a magnetic type.

Jay

Admin
Just for the record I have always used the genuine Toyota branded filters. Never saw the need for upgrading as I change them so regularly.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
i tend to alternate, i use the Power enterprize one 1 out of every 3 oil changes, Other times i just use the standard toyota one

Gee

Member +
You wont notice a difference really, unless your checking oil changes for bits etc!

Its all about filtration.

Chris@CCM

Member +
tbh if theres that much metal in ur engine to need a magnetic sump plug or magnetic filter ur engine is fooked any ways so i dont really see a need for it . i use toyota fliters and will do even when my new engine is ready

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
iv used the sard, trd & pe ... found the pe to be the best.. but seriously i never noticed a difference in the oil quality over time etc.. twas always the same.. the only good thing about the aftermarket ones is that they have a magnet.. the rest is bullshit really..

im not even using genuine toyota ones anymore.. jsut using blueprint stuff... just as good as all the rest + its magnetised as well & costs a miserable 3 euros only lol..

kon

Red Hot

Member +
In theory, you should get more horsepower as these filters have less drag.
But that's just theory, don't think you be able to show that on a RR:p

Jay

Admin
tbh if theres that much metal in ur engine to need a magnetic sump plug or magnetic filter ur engine is fooked any ways so i dont really see a need for it . i use toyota fliters and will do even when my new engine is ready

Just wait till you see inside the trackcar bud. :p

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
In theory, you should get more horsepower as these filters have less drag.
But that's just theory, don't think you be able to show that on a RR:p

but u see thats the joy of a theory .. unless its proved it remains a theory lol.. :p

Chris@CCM

Member +
@ jay lol bet it will be mint mate :p
@ kon blueprint stuff is real good i would use it if u could not get toyota ones at a good price

ryan_v

Lifer
if you change the filter reguarly or as specified by toyota and fit it correctly you shouldnt have any problems on a stock engine.

every engine wears and will have metal particals in the oil, only way youl know is if you have it tested by a oil company and have the oil and filter tested for metal wear and filtration effectivness.

if you spend £££'s on a engine tuning it would be stupid not to upgrade filters and oil.

its like u want sex but no baby and think ull get away without wearing a good dom lol

Last edited:

scaraveos

Member +
I was using TRD and was changing it every 5k km with oil change. Using the car at track and never had any issues. TRD FTW!

Gee

Member +
A lot of engines here are far from stock.

I don't see how it can be all 'bull shit'. Why do Toyota use TRD filters over stock in their race cars?

I think over a longer period, the extra filtration will help keep your engine in top shape, but your not really going to see or feel the benefits, but its good for piece of mind!

It's not really about massive metal fillings in the oil, ofcourse if you have these you have a problem, unless you've just rebuilt.

I got something in my engine, don't know how or what, but it scored the block and fucked my oil pump up. Maybe if I had an uprated filter it 'may' of caught whatever it was, who know's.