getting crazy with ignition timing

azerty

Supermoderator
no I haven't, I have checked voltage coming to ECU which is 4,98 v
then when WOT it is 0volt. I asumed everything was fine on that side

the diagnostic also says : Throttle position : 0 %
is there TWO signal from throttle going to ECU ?

Texx

Super Moderator
Again I would ignore that reading. The TPS is just a switch that is either ON in one position for idle or ON in the other position for WOT, anywhere in between the TPS should not make any connections. A throttle position % reading would only be relevant for a linear type TPS that has a variable resistance.

With the throttle closed the IDL pin at the ECU should be grounded to E2 (common sensor ground pin9 16P ECU connector) by the idle contacts in the TPS and so pin 12 of the 16P ECU connector should show 0 volts. If you see a voltage reading at that pin with the connector still connected to the ECU, then either the idle switch in the TPS isn't closed, there is another break in the circuit somewhere between IDL pin 12 and E2 pin 9 or if your voltage reading is between 0.1v and 4.9v there may be a resistance (such as a poor connection) somewhere between IDL pin 12 and E2 pin 9.

As weeJohn suggested, shorting the IDL and E2 pins of the TPS connector with a jumper wire would be the quickest way of identifying a problem with the TPS.

azerty

Supermoderator
yeah I know it is On/off switch. so it will only show 0% or 100%
but as I got a On/off reading from throttle signal to ECU which is 4,98v when throttle is closed and 0 volt on full throttle, once again I asumed it was working fine. but I might have missed something btw, glanza and GT TPS aren't working the same. Glanza one are reverse type (0 volt when full throttle)

I still can try shorting IDL and E2 thought and see what happens :)

Texx

Super Moderator
btw, glanza and GT TPS aren't working the same. Glanza one are reverse type (0 volt when full throttle)

I can only go by the circuit diagrams, but looking at both the genuine EP82 and EP91 4E-FTE diagrams I have, both TPS work the same by switching the IDL and PSW termninals to E2 sensor ground.

The TPS isn't just a straight ON or OFF. It has 3 pins. At idle it shorts pins 1 and 2, at WOT it shorts pins 2 and 3, at any throttle position in between there is no electrical contact made within the TPS.

So the TPS isn't ON for idle and OFF for WOT, it is both ON for idle and ON for WOT only in different positions. When the TPS is OFF the throttle position is somewhere in between idle and WOT.

azerty

Supermoderator
yeah, I noticed in the past while looking at EMU dataloging that TPS signal was around 5 volt from iddle up to 80 % throttle
then it was 0 volt from 80% to full throttle. EMU datalogs also show full and closed throttle. which I checked 2 days ago and was working fine
I said glanza TPS was different from GT as you were saying it was 0 volt at iddle. sorry for the confusion. (I never check gt TPS voltage in fact, it was just comments from your input)
anyway, I'll be checking this very very shortly (in 45 mins :p)
thanks again for your precious help :)

Texx

Super Moderator
I'm not sure if the EP91 wire colours are the same, but the EP82 IDL wire is yellow/red and at the bottom, E2 is brown, PSW is yellow/green and at the top of the connector (when looking at the connector still connected to the TPS).

azerty

Supermoderator
:(

I got top one yellow and red, the middle one brown and white, and the bottom one black and red

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
Easiest way to be sure is check the wire colours at the ECU connector.

16P connector:

Pin 10 - PSW
Pin 12 - IDL

azerty

Supermoderator
Ok, I got
12 - black and red IDL
10 - yellow and red PSW
9 - brown and white E2

so I should bridge black/red with brown/white (IDL&E2)

Does it mater if I bridge on ECU or TPS side ?

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
Shouldn't matter where you bridge them to, but it'll probably be easier just to disconnect the TPS connector and push a paper clip or piece of wire into the terminals of the black/red and brown/white wires.

azerty

Supermoderator
I've shortened from ECU side.
and ...
and ...
you were right my friend. I owe quite few beers !!
thank you for insisting !
I asumed by mistake TPS was fine, but this is the prob !!
now timing is at 10 °BTDC when distributor is a bit above middle !!!

I can hear engine sound change when I bridge and unbridge (tried while engine at iddle)

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
I've shortened from ECU side.
and ...
and ...
you were right my friend. I owe quite few beers !!
thank you for insisting !
I asumed by mistake TPS was fine, but this is the prob !!
now timing is at 10 °BTDC when distributor is at middle !!!

I can hear a engine sound change when I bridge and unbridge (tried while engine at iddle)

glad you finaly sorted it!! texx will have some rep...

i noticed mine when i touch a little bit the tps buy hand (oushing it a bit to he firewall side) the idle will change... so id guess il be better go get a timing light on lol!

morpheus

Member +
starlet tps are really shit...i already changed 3 on mine......all my friends that have starlets have got faulty tps on their car....

azerty

Supermoderator
Sheldon, sounds lik ea good idea !

Morpheus, maybe they were not adjusted properly

Texx, thanks for the link. I adjusted using an other trick. I moved the tps until I could hear an engine sound change. then I plugged timing light, and did check were was the contact point. it change for 10° to 20° so it is very easy to find out.
left a small gap to be sure it will read closed. job done :)

TGTT, definitly one of a freaking nice comunity !

Last edited:

morpheus

Member +
Sheldon, sounds lik ea good idea !

Morpheus, maybe they were not adjusted properly

Texx, thanks for the link. I adjusted using an other trick. I moved the tps until I could hear an engine sound change. then I plugged timing light, and did check were was the contact point. it change for 10° to 20° so it is very easy to find out.
left a small gap to be sure it will read closed. job done :)

TGTT, definitly one of a freaking nice comunity !

well done
did u do all this under diag mode...or just move the tps until u have your 10 deg?

azerty

Supermoderator
I've first bridged IDL and E2.
then I did setup timing under diagnostic mode to 10°
then I removed IDL bridge (so timing was back to 20°) and then moved tps sensor to look which position will switch to 10°
I added a small gap to be sure it will read IDLE properly from now :)