Removing Powersteering...

riko666

Member +
Right, gave a quick look at the lines on the Rack & Pinion, and from what I've been told in the Past, I have to block off (i.e. Tap off) the lines where the Powersteering Fluid goes in, i.e. in this photo:

powersteering1.jpg

However, what do I do for the solid lines on the other side of where the Powersteering Fluid lines attach to, i.e. the circled ones:

powersteering2.jpg

There are three connections, two solid hoses connected further down onto the Rack & Pinion, then a sort of divider that splits into 2 hoses and goes elsewhere. Do i just tap those as well? If so does anyone know the sizes of the bolts needed to tap each of the holes, and...Removing and tapping off all these connections, is all that is required for removing Powersteering I presume?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

riko666

Member +
It's what I always thought, but a lot of people just said "just get rid of the pump and tap up the lines"

yeah dave is 150% right........if u want an idea of how stiff it will be (IF u did it the way u heard/planned).....just slacken the power steering belt.........UNLESS u do weight lifting.....i BET u wont be able to turn it...lololol------my belt slackened a while back......man that was one of the best workouts i ever had........lol

u need to use a non-power steering rack for sure

riko666

Member +
my car stalled lots in it's rough state of tune now, and i had to steer with no power, wasn't THAT bad...but meh. I always thought the Manual Steering rack were the professional and correct way of reverting back to Manual steering.

Talking of, which year of Starlet did it come in?

Jay

Admin
My EP80 track car never had power steering and she's a handful.

If you try running without the non-PAS rack you have an even harder time. Put the key in the ignition without starting your car and try turning the front wheels...tell us what you think! :)

riko666

Member +
my car stalled lots in it's rough state of tune now, and i had to steer with no power, wasn't THAT bad...but meh

So the EP80's came with a Manual Rack? Bah, I can cope...I drove a beastly Rover 400 with no Powersteerin - life altering :p

Starbus

Member +
Why not just try to steer it with the engine off, if its 2 heavy don't take it off.

Seriously why are you looking to remove it? I don't think its worth it, even with a non power rack on there it will feel horrible as the lock to lock is worse.

GTti

Member +
I love driving properly and feeling the wheels, GTti doesn't have PAS!

It's a workout to maneuver the car, but since I'm not going to be doing that much and the car weighs about 700kg it really doesn't matter!

Less the rotational dead weight and it will become easier.

Sharagath

Member +
i can understand why ricko666 whants to remove it.
at higher speeds a pasoe is not that stable, way to direct steering.

maby better to take a toyo car without it and swap these stuff on it.

riko666

Member +
Why not just try to steer it with the engine off, if its 2 heavy don't take it off.

Seriously why are you looking to remove it? I don't think its worth it, even with a non power rack on there it will feel horrible as the lock to lock is worse.

I love driving properly and feeling the wheels, GTti doesn't have PAS!

It's a workout to maneuver the car, but since I'm not going to be doing that much and the car weighs about 700kg it really doesn't matter!

Less the rotational dead weight and it will become easier.

That's why I want to remove it - I'm a purist. The Cynos has no steering feel, the steering is far too light and "vague" just about everywhere, and it barely ever weights up. With no powersteering the steering is at least a lot more direct

Starbus

Member +
That's why I want to remove it - I'm a purist. The Cynos has no steering feel, the steering is far too light and "vague" just about everywhere, and it barely ever weights up. With no powersteering the steering is at least a lot more direct

Don't get me wrong i've had cars without power steering, all have lots of feel, but you also need about a full turn of lock to get around a corner.

I drive an S2000 and an Evo 6 daily, both of these have power steering, both feel good and both turn sharp.

The starlet doesn't have this same feel, but with semi slicks it has enough feedback to let you know what its doing.

IMO the advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages. If you want a car that is "pure" go out and get 1. As the weight of the steering is only the first hurdle when it comes to it.

Red Hot

Member +
I don't got power steering on my car, and I don't miss it at all.
You just don't steer at stand still.

When your rolling, it's not a problem at all, and you really feel whats happening. Don't need it on such a light car.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
lol i cant understand it but there you go? i love my power steering and makes life a doddle. i can drive fast and steer perfectly at the same time it isnt scary or unhandable? its just a bit more reactive but hey you just need good reactions lol