diy adjustable actuator?

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
just had a thought ther:L would it be possible to make an adjustable actuator with the standard actuator?as in cut the shaft and thread the 2 pieces of shaft then you could adjust it?just a theory to c what yous think or if its been done or thought of before?:rockon:

weeJohn

Lifer
I added a helper spring way back and it raised boost. Its just an extra spring from the actuator to the actuator arm. If you make a small bracket that will tightly fit around the actuaror arm the you can get a bit of control by sliding it up and down the arm a bit.

To be honest, mods like this are no better than a bleed valve.

dark_knight

Member +
you could mod the ct9 stock actuator but given the age of our cars, it's most likely better to just get a new one altogether..

dark_knight

Member +
adjustable actuator: to mod or replace

@aidan: it works alright, but as mentioned already, best to get a replacement :)
i do nought point 9bar (slightly above 1bar on cold nights) on my modded stock actuator, which as you can see, has a rather curvy arm.. :D lol

Rev

Member +
I added a helper spring way back and it raised boost. Its just an extra spring from the actuator to the actuator arm. If you make a small bracket that will tightly fit around the actuaror arm the you can get a bit of control by sliding it up and down the arm a bit.

To be honest, mods like this are no better than a bleed valve.

I have added a DIY spring also, it holds 18psi - 20psi I am wondering from your comment ' no better than a bleed valve ' should I get a boost controller would it give better spool etc, ?

dark_knight

Member +
@Rev: if you get a boost controller, either manual or electronic, you'd have to remove the diy spring. & no, it would not give you better spool necessarily. it would just allow you to control your boost levels a bit more accurately and easier..

Rev

Member +
Stock one is shite - Get a HKS and feel how hard the spring is compared to the 14 year old OEM

I thought Hks one is rated to about 16 psi , I'm trying to hold up to 20psi ?
and thanks spacecraft i find it pretty good really for a $2 spring but have to control the boost with the accelerator when I get to 20psi.

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
i may not be able to confirm that HKS holds up til only 1.1bar (16psi) but you can always use a boost controller to get the extra juice.. :)

TurboDave

Member +
@Rev: if you get a boost controller, either manual or electronic, you'd have to remove the diy spring. & no, it would not give you better spool necessarily. it would just allow you to control your boost levels a bit more accurately and easier..

Thats not strictly correct a ball and spring boost controller or electronic boost controller stop the actuator seeing any boost pressure until your preset level is reached meaning the wastegate will be held shut more effectively.

Rev

Member +
Thats not strictly correct a ball and spring boost controller or electronic boost controller stop the actuator seeing any boost pressure until your preset level is reached meaning the wastegate will be held shut more effectively.

Ok. I thought there might be a difference that would explain Guyes recent superchager post - said he ran a ' ct9/ct20 hybrid at 12 psi fiddled with the gain settings on the Profec B spec2 boost controller. As a result I was getting spool up at 1100rpm '

This seemed very good spool start point compared to mine.
I occasionally hear the turbo at 1300 , the intercooler pipe is fully pressurised at 1700 and boost is felt at or just under 0psi which is generally 2000 -2200rpm. ( k1 with stock cat )

corofin12345

Member +
i will be going ct12 soon.. looking forward to see the difference

ct9 exhaust wheel baside ct12 exhaust wheel
14042011114.jpg

14042011112.jpg

Rev

Member +
That looks great about 50% more surface at the top. I guess the spool willl be a balance between the ct12 extra weight and its better surface area but there will be no stopping it once it gets going

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
dont use the standard one as its weak. use an actuator from a sierra cosworth. very strong + adjustable.. all you need is to make a bracket so you can fit it. works wonders.