200+ bhp with <1bar boost?

dac69er

Super Moderator
larger turbo with less than 1 bar would create that. wouldnt know the exact turbo that would be best for that though. you should be able to get 200bhp on a td04 with a touch less than 1 bar.

saying that though, if you were just after that figure and your on about the standard ct9 turbo then im sure you could run 0.8 bar on a modified ct9, modified head and other engine work, but would be a bit of a pointless exercise unless your loaded or just wanted a challenge.

think of the increases you get with modifications on n/a cars, it would be a similar situation if you kept the boost at say 0.8 bar, you would struggle to make a big increase in power. only increasing the boost or increasing the size of the turbo would really do the trick

Last edited:

hardcoreep

Member +
Yes. Boost is relative. What is important to a turbocharger is the cfm. Thats why 1bar on a CT9 makes less power than 1bar on a T3/T4, so forth.

GP82

Member +
A higher boost pressure ratio always means more power taking into account manageable intake temps and the capability of the turbocharger.

dark_knight

Member +
pressure & cfm

i think i agree more with hardcoreep based on the concept that pressure is pressure, and pressure stays the same regardless of the area it's impressing upon - because i'd presume if you are boosting at 1bar then that pressure is more or less evenly applied throughout the throttle body and exiting orifices. i especially agree with the cfm concept. i guess a bigger turbo would mean a larger mass of air..? or did i misread this..?

Skalabala

Member +
you are spot on spacecraft :)
also think of why do you gain more power when your cylinder head is gas flowed?
same pressure but more air enters more effectively

dark_knight

Member +
ct9 power band

so then, now that we agree on this, what is the maximum power band/envelope of a ct9a/b/hybrid turbo assuming all other supporting mods are in place; fueling, fmic, forged engine even. how much would we be looking at before it started to wheeze and run out of puff like an asthmatic..? :)

ps: no pun intended at asthma patients..

AdamB

Member +
so then, now that we agree on this, what is the maximum power band/envelope of a ct9a/b/hybrid turbo assuming all other supporting mods are in place; fueling, fmic, forged engine even. how much would we be looking at before it started to wheeze and run out of puff like an asthmatic..? :)

ps: no pun intended at asthma patients..

Pressure or engine speed? ;)

AdamB

Member +
Standard out the box you will probably notice that the ct9 will fall over at 1 bar higher up the rev range. If you had an externally gated setup, you could run 1 bar all the way to the redline simply because it's much stronger at holding boost.
In terms of the ct9 not being able to produce anymore power, beyond its efficiency is about 1.1 bar.

dark_knight

Member +
top boost

@AdamB: 1.1bar sounds about right mate. repped :D
i clocked down mine from .9 to .7bar since i don't have any of the supporting mods so don't want to make det my friend.. :)

AdamB

Member +
What fuel can you get over there? Octane rating?
Running that boost pressure even here on our pump gas 95 RON would be dangerous without supporting mods.

Rev

Member +
I suggest a very efficient intercooler with min pressure loss to get the most out of your 1.1psi.

dark_knight

Member +
supporting mods

@Rev: yes. a fmic is my next plan. still working on building one since we can't get pre-ordered items here, not unless you are paying by giving off a kidney or a lung - they are too costly. unreasonably costly.

@AdamB: we have shell v-power here but have never had an independent tester tell us actually what RON it is. i always try and keep a light right foot unless i want to scare some poor souls by the road side who have never heard an angry turbo and dump valve.. :D

Paul_JJ

Member +
@Rev: yes. a fmic is my next plan. still working on building one since we can't get pre-ordered items here, not unless you are paying by giving off a kidney or a lung - they are too costly. unreasonably costly.

@AdamB: we have shell v-power here but have never had an independent tester tell us actually what RON it is. i always try and keep a light right foot unless i want to scare some poor souls by the road side who have never heard an angry turbo and dump valve.. :D

Well buy used on this forum and pay for postage - they're not that heavy as you might think!

dark_knight

Member +
trusted sellers?

@Paul_JJ: ok mate, will take your word on this and look around here. any trusted sellers you may point me to..?