4% Paypal fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bar

Member +
I am buying something of someone on this forum and they said i have to add 4% on top of the cost already? Is this on the total purchase with or with out the freight added to it?

I have used paypal quite afew times and never had to pay such a fee. Is this legit? Is it buyers reponsibility to pay for the fees? Just want to make i am paying the right ammount.

Thanks

alot of people prefer to do payment as a gift as theres no 4% fee.but i think if u buy somwthing from a trader they are charged 4% and make a lesser profit.i think its legit.i pay it wen im buying sometimes but find out if u can do it as a gift m8
i pay the 4% ontop of the item price,then add the delivery:D

hope that answers ur ???

gv1.3

Admin
best asking the seller what way they want it mate.

I would add the 4% on to the total including the postage.

1bar

Member +
Which currency do i use when applying the 4% NZD Or Euro? I am going to pm him to see if i can make it a gift. What does the 4% actually do? Is it some sort of protection fee?

sanchez

Member +
Yes mate, if you send as a gift theres no come back for loss, damage etc.
You wouldnt be able to put a claim through paypal.

gv1.3

Admin
the 4% is a fee the paypal extracts from the person selling the item, it is extortionate. It wont matter if you add the 4% to the nzd or euro price the total will still go up by 4%

1bar

Member +
So if he is selling then he should be paying the fee? Usually in buisness all fees are built into the cost of the item. The price listed should be the price paid then freight.

Adding the extra 4% could be the difference of getting the sale or not getting it. Imagine buying something that 200euro 4% on that is 8euro which is 16 dollars my currency.

gv1.3

Admin
its a seller fee but some sellers pass it on to buyers. If you dont want to pay it then dont buy the item.

edit: beat me to it^

Then just tell him you're not prepared to pay that price, and you will only pay whatever you are prepared to or you walk away.
You have to be willing to walk a way for the $16 though.

I never pay the 4%

1bar

Member +
How do you get away without paying the 4%? Do just ingore it and pay the ammount listed? Well i need the item lol its a catch 22 but at the same time the customer should'nt have to be paying for someone elses fees.

I feel its bad buisness practice and should be built into the price so you can look at the price and know exactly how much you paying without being stung for more which for people on a tight budget could make all the difference.

gv1.3

Admin
You pay whatever the seller tells you to pay via paypal. Its not a matter of getting around paying the fee etc its about what you agree with the seller to pay.

Its like going to meet someone to buy a car and they drive to meet you. If they say "I will drive to meet you if you pay for my petrol" and you agree then you pay for the petrol. If you dont agree then you dont.... its not really difficult dude.

1bar

Member +
I know where you coming from but from a buyer perpective it should be built into the price so there are no dilemmas each party knows what they are paying no hidden costs...On the ad there no meantion of an extra 4% fee. Ok rant over :)

turbojim

Lifer
just pay what he is asking like obviously not everyone in the whole world pays by paypal and if you think about it if he adds the 4% onto the price he displays then when someone is buying in cash,bank transfer etc then he/she would have to subtract the 4%, its easier to display the price that is for everyone and then whatever fees added after

1bar

Member +
No doesnt work like that the price should cover all expensives profit,manufacturing importing, materials etc...if people pay by any other means well then that good for the seller they will make a little extra but if you have to pay an alternative way then the seller still happy coos he still making his margin. That fee is for the seller not the buyer if paypal wanted to make the buyer pay the 4% then they would of...

Its the seller that has to put that 4% on the product. Every thing i buy of ebay i have never ever had to pay a 4% fee. Its probably coos like i said above there margine covers the cost of the goods...

gv1.3

Admin
No doesnt work like that the price should cover all expensives profit,manufacturing importing, materials etc...if people pay by any other means well then that good for the seller they will make a little extra but if you have to pay an alternative way then the seller still happy coos he still making his margin. That fee is for the seller not the buyer if paypal wanted to make the buyer pay the 4% then they would of...

Its the seller that has to put that 4% on the product. Every thing i buy of ebay i have never ever had to pay a 4% fee. Its probably coos like i said above there margine covers the cost of the goods...

I dont know if you are buying from a seller on here or not. If you are all we require is that the seller puts up a price and highlights delivery or other associated costs. So if the seller is selling via our site they are doing nothing wrong on here. If they are selling through another site you will have to take it up with that sites admin.

1bar

Member +
It is a seller here on this site i am buying it from but my understanding is that its against Paypal policy to charge the customer using the service any fees.

That is all i am saying. But to be honest it just comes down to the person been lazy and having bad business practice. Makes the seller/trader amateurish and greedy. People doing business should have enough to cover there overheads including fees.

From a buyer point getting hit with a 4% fee is not nice. It also deceiving the buyer into thinking they getting a good deal only to find out there a hidden 4% surcharge. This all adds up for international buyers. First is they dealing in euros which is low conversion rate for most of the world and they make more money from it.

If they just added this overhead into the cost of the item then its fair on the buyer knowing how much they are exactly spending and can easily work out their finances.
It should be fair for both sellers and buyers. If the classified said if using Paypal then a 4% fee will be added. Then I would of click the back button. It will be nicer on the buyer eyes to have it included in the overall cost and would be good professional business practice .

Last edited:

1bar

Member +
This is the user agreement which we accept when we sign up to Paypal.

4.7 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Streetech

Member +
That is all i am saying. But to be honest it just comes down to the person been lazy and having bad business practice. Makes the seller/trader amateurish and greedy. People doing business should have enough to cover there overheads including fees.

The 4% doesnt go to the trader, it goes to Paypal for using their service.
Has the seller offered any other method of payment?
If I sell something and the buyer wants to pay by paypal, why should I pay the fees?

I sent money over seas via my bank and I had to pay fees to the bank (which was more than 4%). The trader only got what he advertised in his advert.

1bar

Member +
You missing the point tho...The price of the fee if the trader is professional would add it onto the cost of the goods like the rest of the overheads...Doesnt look good for a trafder to be saying its going to cost 300euro + 4% fees does it? why should you pay because that what you accepted in the user policy to use their service.

Streetech

Member +
You missing the point tho...The price of the fee if the trader is professional would add it onto the cost of the goods like the rest of the overheads...Doesnt look good for a trafder to be saying its going to cost 300euro + 4% fees does it? why should you pay because that what you accepted in the user policy to use their service.

To me thats acceptable. I have bought alot from this site from traders and members and I have always agreed to pay the 4% because its me that wants to use paypal.

Would you rather every trader added the fees into the cost even if your paying by cash or bank transfer?

Also, the fee is paypals service cost. When I first started using paypal I asked them the same question about the 4%. I was told the rules relate to a seller directly charging you for using paypal (aswell as the 4%).
For example, Some shops in the uk charge you for using your card if it is under a certain amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.