4e block limit

ramses974

Member +
Hi
i want to know your opinion about the 4e block
1-is this block very solid (iron) , very hard to warp?
2-what could result to a warped block
3-how to verify

a lot of mechanic told me that it is very difficul to warp this iron block , and the weakest part is the head (aluminium)

yeah, the 4e block is pretty strong and some have made a lot of bhp with them (obviously the necessary parts and engineering work was done)...iirc some have seen 350hp++
warping may come down to a number of factors---overheating/cooling, cylinder pressures, etc...under normal circumstances it would be hard to warp the block,,,,but when pushing the limits all this may change, though it has been done countless times, there's always that risk
you would have the get the block tested by a machine shop for warpage if its minor or it maybe somewhat noticeable if its major

for a block designed for 133bhp, i guess no one can really get upset if it warps at 300hp++

ramses974

Member +
yes this is what i was thinking.... i have some issue with my recent rebuild now, since it oberheats a lot ( i tend to stop the car before all was gone to bang !!) and i am sure that the mechanic shop that has skimmed the head has liyed me... he has just skimmed the head but not did the performance test ... and now it told me that the block is certainly warped ( i can doubt ...)

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
If it is warped badly you will be able to see it. Place a metal straight edge on the deck surface and shine a light/bulb/torch at the straight edge deck surface, if the light shines through to the other side then the deck is not straight at this point. Test around 5-7 different deck positions.

Many people have had big bhp numbers from the 4E, I would say it depends what it is used for and how good your cooling system is. If the engine is built well, doesn't overheat and your cooling system is well maintained I see no reason as to why the block would warp.

Aluminum on the other hand is another story.