5E-FHE ACIS Intake on 4E-FTE... What gains can it bring?

sMARTINside

Member +
Hi, I would like to know if any of you has installed an ACIS intake from a 5E-FHE on a 4E-FTE. I would like to know if it can help on fuel economy and torque on off-boost moments (vacuum to atmosphere range of vacuum in the intake). That is what I guess it would give... I don't believe it can give any gains on performance at high boost applications, but maybe I am wrong.

I want to know this because I have gotten an intake from a friend, and I a cleaning it and modifying it to install on my 4E-FTE in a near or farther future.

Feel free to tell me what you think about it,

Cheers to all of you,
Martin

hardcoreep

Member +
It only works if you can activate the ACIS. You can't unless you a)have the 5EFHTE ECU or b)have some aftermarket solution.

Hoodey on the site uses it http://bajanchameleon.com/5efhe_test1.html with an Emanage Ultimate. With the longer runners there's low end torque but no top end hp. On the shorter runners there is the opposite. So you need the Emanage to tigger the ACIS at the rpm crossover point dictated by you dyno run to get the most out of it.

riko666

Member +
Hey Rory, actually I sold my ACIS to a guy in Ireland with a Paseo, and somehow they've made it work without an aftermarket ECU. He just said they "hooked it up to some vacuum pipes", but otherwise it works. Not sure how well though...

riko666

Member +
" Acoustic Control Intake System ":

Installed on the Cynos' 5efhe engine, it was a dual stage Intake Manifold which utilised two sets of runners - long & skinny for better cylinder filling giving better low-mid range torque, and a short & fat set for greater top-end. Upto about 3400rpm (I forget the exact RPM), the long & skinny runners are utilised, the short & fat ones kicking in after that.

Whilst the effect is not pronounced, you hear a slight change in engine tone, and can feel the car "pick up and go" slightly, gives a welcome flattening of the torque curve, useful for the n/a 5efhe, and proven to be very beneficial on Turbocharged applications, as demonstrated by Hoodey.

Since owning a Paseo/Cynos, I've sold 3 of these intake manifolds...one from my own Cynos. Wish I could keep them :(

Adam_Glanza

Member +
o right very impressive.. so are 2 of the runners skinny and long and 2 small and fat? or do you have 2 seperate manis all together

riko666

Member +
it's pretty much two manifolds in one, with 8 runners in total - i'll try get a picture

Last edited:

hardcoreep

Member +
The ACIS can be activated by vacuum/pressure because its a solenoid. The problem is simply activating it doesn't make it work properly. The 5EFHTE ECU operates the system based on optimum rpm. As Hoodey showed you you have to find the right activation point or you lose power both top/bottom end.

mainpic9.jpg

mainpic11.jpg

mainpic10.jpg

mainpic13.jpg

mainpic12.jpg

Last edited:
yeah...hoodey put a lot of time and effort into the 5efhe set up to get it to run correctly

its not just a plug and play.........it also needs to be properly "tuned" to your set up to get the most of it

sMARTINside

Member +
As I see, I will need to experiment and tune quite a bit, so I get this running well. At least, now I started putting the intake in shape. Next year, I will get to play with the rest! I have a Innovate Data Logging System so I will have fun (that's how I pass time and don't get so lonely!)

Could any of you inquire how much would cost the whole set of gaskets for the 5E-FHE intake, at Toyota. I am asking you because this is completely impossible for me to get this by the Toyota dealers in my country (Canada)

Just asking if one of you could even be nice enough to ship this to me. I would pay you by paypal.

Thanks for all the info, I learn stuff every day!

Toyota T23

Member +
Was looking at my 5efhe intake(gonna boost it)..
Someone once said it opends varibel from 3000-5000rpm.
How dos the ecu know how much it is opend, there is no sensor that telles it where it is...
And that solined valve witch contol it, is not a trigger one, just opends and close..

It think mabey it opends that way, when just opend throttle standing still(because not full vacum), but when you hit full throttle on road, i think it opends all the way at once ?

Last edited:

Gizmo

Fresh Recruit
If you don't have the 5E-FHE ECU you can get a RPM activated switch to select when you want your ACIS to kick in.

slostar

Fresh Recruit
easy enough to setup. wouldnt bother if you dont have an aftermarket ecu tho. not just because of needing an rpm switch., but it will put the fuel map out. not just "it will need more fuel". it'l have rich and/or lean spots, due to t the engine taking in more air at certen rpm. set one up on a mates car years ago. seems to work pretty good, and he still using it. must get rpm switch point right, as others said. or its a waste of time.

hardcoreep

Member +
Was looking at my 5efhe intake(gonna boost it)..
Someone once said it opends varibel from 3000-5000rpm.
How dos the ecu know how much it is opend, there is no sensor that telles it where it is...
And that solined valve witch contol it, is not a trigger one, just opends and close..

It think mabey it opends that way, when just opend throttle standing still(because not full vacum), but when you hit full throttle on road, i think it opends all the way at once ?

The manifold doesn't SENSE when it should open. The ECU tells it when to open. Your ECU gets a tachometer signal, which it then looks up where the solenoid voltage should be and sends that to the solenoid. Voltage varies from 3000-5000 indicating partial to full open. If you use a full rpm switch as we did it just open and closes. With Hoodey's system its gradual based on the power curves of ON/OFF.