98/99 Coolant temp sensor

CMR

Member +
Just gone to change the coolant temp sensor, and mine is completely different to what it should be for the other GT's and Glanzas.

Does anyone know where I can get one like below, or a part number if i have to use toyota.

New sensor on the left, plug for the sensor I need on the right
25042009585.jpg

CMR

Member +
camskill.

On their site it said starlet ep82 to ep91 1989 to 1997. i thought narr they cant have changed for 98/99 spec and bought it. Seems they did!

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
thing with camskill some items on there site says fit ep91 but they dont knw it all so fits ep82. looks like they have changed it for the 98 spec, I know the water pump is different for the 98 spec zswell
Best thing to do is ring them tomoro and ask them then get them to send the right one out

weeJohn

Lifer
There are 2 coolant temperature sensors on the thermostat housing.

One for the ECU, thats the 2 pin type and one for the temperature guage, thats the single pin type.

CMR

Member +
Oh right.. I couldnt see another? I was told its the one near the dizzy where that sensor I have goes

CMR

Member +
Taken some pics, no idea where another one is!

Theres one under the dizzy, thats a 3 pin
Theres one on the gearbox that is a 2 pin but it isnt a coolant sensor!

26042009587.jpg

26042009589.jpg

26042009591.jpg

26042009592-1.jpg

The green sensor you can see in the pics is the one i posted up before by the way, its a single wire one.
Any help?

weeJohn

Lifer
I am not that familiar with Glanzas mate, but on a GT that green one is where the rad fan switch is usually fitted, and that 3 wire one you have is the ecu coolant temp sensor, but on a GT its 2 wire.

The GT also has a 3rd sensor on there for the temperature guage, this has really thrown me now so I dont think I have gave you accurate advice before, sorry about that.

Usually if the engine is running and you remove the plug from the green sennsor the fan will come on, you could test this to confirm thats what it does.

That other sensor is the reverse light switch, forget about that one.

CMR

Member +
Yeah it looks like its yet another thing they changed on the 98/99 spec

Il have to go to toyota by the looks of things unless i can find a breaker 98 spec

Gryzor

Admin
89428 switch, temperature detect, no.2
89428-20060

TOYOTA Raidator Fan Switch but the fan doesn't switch on when it's disconnected

Last edited: