a friend told me that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KING-EP82

Member +
i told a friend recently that im going to do the td04 conversion, he said he will do it all for me however hes advised me to not do it as the bottom end of my ep82 will sat going very quickly,

my questions are is he right and how can i prevent this happening if i still do put a td04 in? thankz in advance

Quincy

Member +
i told a friend recently that im going to do the td04 conversion, he said he will do it all for me however hes advised me to not do it as the bottom end of my ep82 will sat going very quickly,

my questions are is he right and how can i prevent this happening if i still do put a td04 in? thankz in advance

Depends on how much boost your are going to run??? If your going over 1bar you will melt the pistons!!

pig666eon

Member +

you can run 1bar safely without any major problems regardless the turbo

once you go over that generally the rods will go due to higher stress put on them the hole point of forging the engine is to put stronger rods and pistons to be able to take higher boost and possible revs

you can run a bar tdo4 but is not great as you can run a ct9 at a bar without the lag

Mark-ep91

Member +
if your engine is healthy now i dont think it would go quicker as its all down to the tune!
if its set up right as far as i no gt rods can handle 1.2 bar bout 220 brake with supporting mods!

Quincy

Member +
you can run 1bar safely without any major problems regardless the turbo

once you go over that generally the rods will go due to higher stress put on them the hole point of forging the engine is to put stronger rods and pistons to be able to take higher boost and possible revs

you can run a bar tdo4 but is not great as you can run a ct9 at a bar without the lag

But with the tdo4 would you not have better power out of the car with the bigger turbo??

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Brad done a conversion, dunno if it was td04 but shourtly after his bottem end went..
Prob worth doing the bottem end shell's an stuff befor jus in case..

Im not fully sure on what happened might be worth dropping him a pm an asking, im sure he wont mind helpin ya out with som info... Brad_L is his user name..

Mark-ep91

Member +
they both have the same same power at 1bar

1bar ct9 faster spool up

1bar td04 better top end

no ct9 at 1 bar would be between 180-190 brake, quick spool up almost no lag and you will always have power to overtake etc when you need it and is fairly fast like!

downfall is ct9 turbo gets very hot running 1 bar and might not last long!

power to weight is well over 200 bhp per ton

td04 will have slightly more lag but will have more top end pull and power
etc of more lag would be cruising in 5th if you want to over take the turbo would have to higher up in the revs to be spooling up so you would have to drop to 3rd

but the better side would be if your in 5th and doing 60mph and put the footdown motorway driving u wont be using the turbo which is the upside

and will be cool therefore lasting longer
at 1 bar would be between 200-220 bhp

power to weight ratio of bout 230 bhp

Last edited:

pig666eon

Member +
no ct9 at 1 bar would be between 180-190 brake, quick spool up almost no lag and you will always have power to overtake etc when you need it and is fairly fast like!

downfall is ct9 turbo gets very hot running 1 bar and might not last long!

power to weight is well over 200 bhp per ton

td04 will have slightly more lag but will have more top end pull and power
etc of more lag would be cruising in 5th if you want to over take the turbo would have to higher up in the revs to be spooling up so you would have to drop to 3rd

but the better side would be if your in 5th and doing 60mph and put the footdown motorway driving u wont be using the turbo which is the upside

and will be cool therefore lasting longer
at 1 bar would be between 200-220 bhp

power to weight ratio of bout 230 bhp

rite so your theory is if the engine is getting 1bar of air forced into the engine from different sources it will give different results?

1bar is 1bar man your quoting facts and figures above that would not be achievable without supporting mods so its irrelevant if you were to just put a td04 kit on at 1bar ill guess you wont get anywhere near your figures

there is loads of ct9 cars on here over 200bhp with the supporting mods

again ct9 faster spool up td04 better top end at 1bar

Mark-ep91

Member +
rite so your theory is if the engine is getting 1bar of air forced into the engine from different sources it will give different results?

1bar is 1bar man your quoting facts and figures above that would not be achievable without supporting mods so its irrelevant if you were to just put a td04 kit on at 1bar ill guess you wont get anywhere near your figures

there is loads of ct9 cars on here over 200bhp with the supporting mods

again ct9 faster spool up td04 better top end at 1bar

im talking about the above with supporting mods!

if anybody is thinking bout going td04 they do research before and find out like!

1 bar is not the same on ct9 as td04

ct9 turbo is smaller therefore less air been forced into the engine
less air = less fuel = less power

td04 turbo is bigger therefore more air been forced into the engine
more air = more fuel = more power

if you have a ct9 yeah it will spool tiny bit faster say off the lights then td04 would spool up and leave it sitting there have a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ogsoPJMRM

theres loads of info on this just use the search button

also what boost you running and turbo?

pig666eon

Member +
im talking about the above with supporting mods!

if anybody is thinking bout going td04 they do research before and find out like!

if you have a ct9 yeah it will spool tiny bit faster say off the lights then td04 would spool up and leave it sitting there have a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ogsoPJMRM

theres loads of info on this just use the search button

also what boost you running and turbo?

if you run the same sized piping from both turbos at 1bar from each they will be delivering the same amount of air into the engine no?

that vid is nothing you dont know the specs the ct9 mite not be using a management system ect its all factors man you need to take into consideration and all above is useless cause the driver has a big part to play

you keep saying a ct9 is smaller it is but if its forcing out 1 bar to the engine it doesnt matter how small it is

again 1bar of air in the same piping regardless of turbo is the same i dont know where your getting that a td04 is has more power it doesnt if the engine is getting 1 bar boost in the same piping its no different

i said at 1bar the ct9 has a better spool up but the td04 has a better top end i have done a lot of research man i dont just come on saying stuff for the buzz to try and sound cool its cold hard facts maybe you should use the search and have a look at other members cars and figures

im hand building a 5e with a td05 ball bearing from tmd when i get the spare cash

Last edited:

pig666eon

Member +

you need to step back and have a think about that one man

addz

Member +
From my knowledge 1 bar on a CT9 is different to 1 bar on a TD04. The heat produced from the CT9 is quite extensive whereas it's not as great on the TD04. Spool will always be quicker on a smaller turbo, correct, but higher end the smaller turbo will puff out. On the other hand a bigger turbo is more laggy at first, but once worked well in higher range revs you won't feel the lag as much. This is all information I've read on and seen, I don't have a TD04 to back this up. I am wanting to go down the TD04 route myself, and members on here are forever saying the same 'bar' on smaller turbo will vary power to bigger turbo. Well that's what I've been lead to believe.

pig666eon

Member +
dont think so maybe more members can back me up in the morning or if i am wrong tell me im no genious to starlets just trying to help people out as best i can!

so what exactly are you saying 1 bar on ct9 is the same as 1 bar on td04?
i dont get your argument?

did you look at this thread
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72679

answer me this which is heavier a tone of bricks or a tone of feathers?

if i can get 1 bar of pressure from both turbos in the the same piping its the exact same flow of air into the engine man

once they have the same flow only then you can compare its strong weak points ct9 fast spool up and td04 has a better top end

you dont measure how good a turbo on how big it is man

my last point was for you to look at the bit i highlited man and take another look at it you were making a point that is not true 1bar is the same regardless how big it is

lol this has been argued many tims im sure but i dont have a definitive answer but i'd say (in no way take this as set but its what ive sorta put together in my head.. which could mean its utter toss)

Bar is a measurment of pressure not flow, therefore they may both be compressing air to the same pressure, but since the TD04 is bigger it can compress more air to 1 bar at anyone time so the flow of compressed air will be more than the ct9 can put out...

simply put
a bigger compressor wheel can compress more air than a smaller one at the same pressure at the same time..

haha or in the terms of food (yes i am hungry=P)
if two people can chew at the same rate and they have the same size burger but one has a bigger mouth who would finish first??? the bigger mouth guy

if that makes sence or is it just me in my own world haha

pig666eon

Member +
From my knowledge 1 bar on a CT9 is different to 1 bar on a TD04. The heat produced from the CT9 is quite extensive whereas it's not as great on the TD04. Spool will always be quicker on a smaller turbo, correct, but higher end the smaller turbo will puff out. On the other hand a bigger turbo is more laggy at first, but once worked well in higher range revs you won't feel the lag as much. This is all information I've read on and seen, I don't have a TD04 to back this up. I am wanting to go down the TD04 route myself, and members on here are forever saying the same 'bar' on smaller turbo will vary power to bigger turbo. Well that's what I've been lead to believe.

my point was that without the factors 1bar is the same regardless the turbo

pig666eon

Member +
lol this has been argued many tims im sure but i dont have a definitive answer but i'd say (in no way take this as set but its what ive sorta put together in my head.. which could mean its utter toss)

Bar is a measurment of pressure not flow, therefore they may both be compressing air to the same pressure, but since the TD04 is bigger it can compress more air to 1 bar at anyone time so the flow of compressed air will be more than the ct9 can put out...

simply put
a bigger compressor wheel can compress more air than a smaller one at the same pressure at the same time..

haha or in the terms of food (yes i am hungry=P)
if two people can chew at the same rate and they have the same size burger but one has a bigger mouth who would finish first??? the bigger mouth guy

if that makes sence or is it just me in my own world haha
air gets compressed at the same rate the higher the compression the bigger the pressure

Bar is pressure
Flow is volume

two totally different things

hmm try it this way... right you have two hoses a wide hose & a narrow hose, say you want 1bar pressure at the end, your going to need a bigger flow of water through the wider hose to create that pressure than you would for the narrower hose.

the only way i can see them producing exactly the same would be if they both had the exact same volume capacity for air inside the compressor housings so the compressor wheels would both have to have the same ratios for example they both take up 1 third of volumetric space in the housings.

I shall now sleep on it & see if its not turned to bs by the morning

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.