abs fault code?

turbojim

Lifer
i done a flash test on a 98 glanza and it showed up code 49? now iv had a look and cannot find anything wioth 49? am i doing something wrong?

Texx

Super Moderator
Has the '98 Glanza got the larger diagnostic connector with the extra row of pins on the end? or is it the same as the earlier models?

Texx

Super Moderator
Did you remove the short pin (can be seen in the top right of the above photo) before connecting terminals Tc and E1?

corofin12345

Member +
always done this test with that pin in place with no problems, one thing i did notice on a 99 glanza tho before was there was something coming out of the brake servo and it was electrical, hardly some thing to do with that..?? its not on 96-97 spec glanzas and never heard of a code 49 in the ABS test

Texx

Super Moderator
always done this test with that pin in place with no problems

If the diode in the ABS relay has shorted it'll feed +12v to the W terminal of the ABS ECU whenever the relay switches ON. In this condition, failing to remove the short pin when connecting terminals Tc and E1 will allow a dead short inside the ABS ECU every time it switches it's W terminal to ground to flash the warning lamp. Obviously this is not in the slightest bit any good for the ABS ECU and could possibly kill it, but it can also cause rogue codes to be displayed.

If the diode in the ABS relay is functioning correctly then failing to remove the short pin won't be the end of the world (or ABS ECU as the case may be), however this doesn't mean it's OK to leave the short pin in the diagnostic port when checking for codes and it's best practice to always remove it prior to running a diagnostic check.

If you 100% sure the ABS ECU is flashing code 49, then it's probably fucked.

turbojim

Lifer
i did remove the short pin texx and 100% 49 it flases 4 times stops then 9 times then stops for a few seconds then repeats it i must have counted it 12 times as i thought i was getting it wrong

turbojim

Lifer
any other ideas lads? i changed the abs ecu tonight and no different but tomorrow im changing the complete unit

turbojim

Lifer
I put the complete abs unit (behind drivers headlight) in tonight and the new abs ecu (under dash on right hand side of steering wheel) and still no different anyone have any idea? could it be wiring or some other part i need to change?

Gilly2006

Member +
im having big issues wih my abs and iv spent 126 quid on a new sensor which flagged up. now all 4 wheels are being flagged with fault codes! had enough of it so im very much on the verge of disconnecting it and stripping out the abs.

corofin12345

Member +
after ages searching, the only toyota OBD1 flash code for 49 is their TRAC system, (traction control).. which i doubt "that" glanza has

corofin12345

Member +
stumped so i am.. uve changed the lot and it still gives the code... wiring somewhere id say... sorry for all the questions but did ya reset the ABS ecu.. terminals bridged/ pedel 8 times within 3 seconds yada yada yada?

also will you check see if theres an electrical unit on the brake servo just to left of master cylinder, my mates 99 glanza has a unit there and havent seen it before on other glanzas

corofin12345

Member +
yea man i tried resetting it that way but no better and yea it has that unit what is it? ha

thats what im thinking.. its hardly that thats faulty? its not on earlier models.. wonder if ya plugged it out would it throw a code??? im here looking to see what the hell it is, lol

turbojim

Lifer
im on toyodiy cannot find it and yea im thinking of heading back out to see but i think il leave it til tomorrow