Actuator Problems

TomS

Lifer
I fitted an adjustable actuator today as the spring in my jam one was getting weak and not holding full boost after 4.5k. I made the length of the actuator arm the same length as the jam one but it only made .55 bar so i wound it in a bit more and it made .8 bar. The problem now is that i have wound the arm in as far as it can go and it's still only making .9 bar. I refitted the jam actuator and it's making 1 bar again so there must be something i'm doing wrong

Any idea of what the problem could be?

TomS

Lifer
Boost kicks in the same as always, just not as much as before.

The vac line is connected properly

The spring in the uprated actuator is much stronger than the Jam

It's making 1 bar now with the jam but when i fit the adjustiable actuator (with a much shorter arm than the jam) it makes less boost :confused:

ianmcintoshi

Member +
have you fitted the mounting bracket the right way round??? sound silly bt when i fited my actuator i put the bracket on wrong and even with the arm at maximum legnth it only made 0.5bar.:confused:

Last edited:

TomS

Lifer
Possibly. But i still cant understand how with a much shorter actuator arm (from the bracket to the centre of the pin) it's producing less boost

TomS

Lifer
Exactly! that's why i'm so confused

It's a TT actuator (i think), It looks the same as a hks one but it dosen't have the stamp on the side

Last edited:

ianmcintoshi

Member +
its a tt actuator i have aswell so it makes me think of the bracket being the wrong way, but ur probs not as stupid as me lol:homer: was it second hand? if so maybe the spring has gone so it doesnt hold boost. thats all i can think of mate:)

TomS

Lifer
its a tt actuator i have aswell so it makes me think of the bracket being the wrong way, but ur probs not as stupid as me lol:homer: was it second hand? if so maybe the spring has gone so it doesnt hold boost. thats all i can think of mate:)

The spring on it is rock solid so it's not that, I'll swap the bracket around tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. Cheers

Quick Nick

Member +
Do you guys know what length an HKS actuator should be set at to attain certain amount of boost?

I am thinking between .8 and 1 Bar, going to test all day tomorrow and see what the best balance is with my turbo, but a reference would be good for the initial installation...

GT_Irl

Member +
You want me to have a look mate? I have my hks one out 0.85 bar, we could compare just so you can have a look and see if theres any obvious differences?

TomS

Lifer
The problem was i had the bracket on the wrong way round:homer:
However after fitting the actuator and adjusting the boost to 1 bar i got some major creep in the higher revs, so i've reverted back to the Jam unit until i have enough time to port my wastegate

GT_Irl

Member +
The problem was i had the bracket on the wrong way round:homer:
However after fitting the actuator and adjusting the boost to 1 bar i got some major creep in the higher revs, so i've reverted back to the Jam unit until i have enough time to port my wastegate

Easy mistake to make dude!:) Dont worry about it! Throw some tights around the filter mate should bring the creep a bit more under control