advance and retard

middler1988

Member +
understood good guys thanks :)

well i jus got me a gunsons advanced timing light..

should i leave the dial on 0 and set the bottom pulley at 10degrees btdc

or advance it 1 or 2 degrees?

rep :)

middler1988

Member +
det happens cuz its firing too early and there is too much compression and the piston is firing too early plus trying to make it go back the other way as its too advanced???

am i more or less right sorry peeps

GP82

Member +
10 deg btdc is you static timing and that is where you want to set it, the ecu controls there after how much earlier or later it wants to spark dependant on engine circumstances. If you wanna play with the static timing, get some det cans, as this is the reference point the ecu determines how much to advance/retard, but i don't see why you would wanna spark earlier together when your increasing your boost aswell.

starlet666

Member +
on every stock toyota motor i have ever had.... 16 btdc was always the magic number that made a noticable difference to the car.... much better off boost and reved even cleaner when on boost.... now i always just keep my starlet on 16btdc and havent had a problem as yet...

weeJohn

Lifer
on every stock toyota motor i have ever had.... 16 btdc was always the magic number that made a noticable difference to the car.... much better off boost and reved even cleaner when on boost.... now i always just keep my starlet on 16btdc and havent had a problem as yet...

Surely fuel quality would make a difference to how this would affect performance, would it not?

Personally I have never went beyond 12 degrees, worked well for the set up I had at that time, but each set up differs.

After you put the link in the diagnostics plug, put the pick up of the timing light on lead 1, with the timing light advance/reterd set to zero, the notch on the timing pulley should be level with the 10 mark on the bottom crank case to set it up as stock.

Set your timing light knob for advance 1 degree to set it for 11 degrees btdc, 2 for 12 and so on.

Set your timing light knob for retard 1 degree for 9 degrees btdc etc etc...

Using the advance/retard knob should still make the notch on the pulley remain at the 10 mark even though the ammount of degrees will be different.