AEM F/IC or Injectors and fuel pump or the Mrs??!

Quick Nick

Member +
Went for a RR session yesterday and pulled 150 whp running 9PSI on my hybrid setup with AFPR. They said it was a great result and with 16PSI should see over 200 whp.

They strongly recommended I get an AEM F/IC as a piggyback so they can properly map it, and also get a new fuel pump. At the moment I have standard fuel pump and injectors, and fuel pressure is set to 4 BAR as per rolling road.

He advised against turning up the boost (manual boost controller) so as to not endanger my stock fuel pump/injectors. I want to wind up the boost and My theory is that I could get the uprated fuel pump/injectors and turn up the boost and fuel to match, and then in Feb/March in the build up to Nurburgring season I could get the ECU to get it properly mapped.

Will the better fuel pump and injectors mean that I can turn up the boost and fuel pressure manually and it all hold up, or should I just keep it how it is and wait till I have the dispensable income for the ECU?

I know what I should do (BUY THE ECU!!) but money has gone into the car all year and the Mrs is still waiting for a ring on the finger so priorities are a bit mixed right now....

J25GTi

Lifer
You will need to get the fuelling set up. If you don't and just guess you will end up with a hole in a piston.

Although then maybe you can mill the piston down and use it as a ring for her finger ;)

Quick Nick

Member +
Hmmm...the 2 loves of my life...I have had to work harder at the starlet though..

2834351400104429413S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2592419590104429413S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2607965950104429413S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and me and the Mrs, at another one of our mates weddings recently (I think its just that time of year...)

2856409940104429413S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Let be honest, they are both gonna cost me a fair bit.....

Quick Nick

Member +
the fuel pressure sounds a bit on the high side

The fuel pressure is very high but this is because of the amount the turbo is blowing. Its a Tong GT Spec Hybrid that I then sent to Turbo Dynamics for further mods. It was so lean on 3 BAR fuel pressure its amazing it didnt blow on the first run.

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Fuel pressure sounds very high buddy...

The bigger injectors will need an ecu to control them, with 4bar fuel pressure, what afr is it running on boost? does it drive ok off-boost?

I'd suggest leaving it 'safe' for now until you can afford to do the ecu ;)

Thanks

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

yeah nick@td...i think you are giving some very good advice there

and yes quick nick, both will be expensive...lol, but the smile they put on your face will be priceless

Quick Nick

Member +
Fuel pressure sounds very high buddy...

The bigger injectors will need an ecu to control them, with 4bar fuel pressure, what afr is it running on boost? does it drive ok off-boost?

I'd suggest leaving it 'safe' for now until you can afford to do the ecu ;)

Yes clearly good advice and the same thing has been buzzing round my head all night but at the end of the day my guy is pretty much up there with the best mappers and ECU mappers in the country and if he says he is happy then why not...Fuel pressure is shockingly high though, it runs a tad rich at top end but is about right all the way up to about 6k rpm.

Off boost driving and general drivability and tractability remains very good. The AEM F/IC should be able to control the fuel through the new injectors, but I guess its best to put it all together at the same time.

What are the reliable limits of standard fuel pump and injectors?

sx_turbo

Lifer
4bar is the max limit of the injectors,

at that high a pressure the current injectors arent gonna last very long,

best to get it sorted properly,

if your gf loves you that much she'll wait ;) :p

Quick Nick

Member +
if your gf loves you that much she'll wait ;) :p

I don think she loves me that much :-/

I can just drive it around off boost for a while and turn down the fuel pressure a bit to conserve injectors.

This all begs the question what injectors / Fuel pump to get..? I could afford that lot now and then just get the ECU later and fit it all together.

sx_turbo

Lifer
330's are pointless, cos the standard injectors when :3bar fuel pressure are basically that.

so i would say 380cc to 410ish,

Hmmm...the 2 loves of my life...I have had to work harder at the starlet though..

2834351400104429413S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2592419590104429413S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2607965950104429413S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and me and the Mrs, at another one of our mates weddings recently (I think its just that time of year...)

2856409940104429413S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Let be honest, they are both gonna cost me a fair bit.....

Buy the ring FAST!!!!!!!!