AEM Wideband Problems - Update 06/09/08

Rory

Lifer
Ive had this gauge for a while now, but ive never used it.

Went to use it the other day for a fueling check, and the thing wouldnt work.
When sitting at idle, it bounces around then shuts down and re-starts??
See video.

http://s514.photobucket.com/albums/t348/rorenapier/?action=view&current=04082008083.flv

Ive got it running from the ciggarette lighter for power.
The gauge wont be used everyday in one car, i bought it to be used in various cars etc.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Cheers for your time.

Rory

Kelly

Member +
Ours does the whole sequence when it starts up and then starts working as normal, but when it gets too hot after being ragged, it has the three lines which yours has in the vid, and stays that way until its ready to come back on again and works again.

Never seen one do the bouncing around that yours is though.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Ours does the whole sequence when it starts up and then starts working as normal, but when it gets too hot after being ragged, it has the three lines which yours has in the vid, and stays that way until its ready to come back on again and works again.

how far away is the sensor from the turbo?

sounds like its too close & its heating to much...

it should be about 28 to 30 inches away from the turbo exhaust housing, to allow the heaters to heat it up to optimal temp...

kon

HYBRID

Rory it seems like u have an earth problem... either that or ur guage is erm well.. confused to say the least...

my guage just stopped working for no fucking reason.. cant figure out wats wrong, i have 3 other guages on the samae fuse & none of them went.. no burnt smell in the unit etc... meh just makes me really confused :(

Rory

Lifer

Thats only at idle.
Ive yet to try it when moving and getting the sensor warrmed up.

Basically im trying to see if this is normal or not?
Im geusing not though! :p

Rory

Lifer
Rory it seems like u have an earth problem... either that or ur guage is erm well.. confused to say the least...

my guage just stopped working for no fucking reason.. cant figure out wats wrong, i have 3 other guages on the samae fuse & none of them went.. no burnt smell in the unit etc... meh just makes me really confused :(

Ive yet to try the power and earth straight from the battery.
Surely the cigarette lighter is more than capable of doing this though?

Confused, im the one confused with it!:p

HYBRID

well all i can say is something isnt right as thats not the way it works normally, after the startup sequence it usually goes very rich (cause of the choke) then it starts operating as it should after the car reaches 500deg egt (thats when the ecu starts working on the oem lambda , knock & map sensor readings to control fuelling :))

kon

goldenvtr

Member +
everyone i know who has used one so far as had some form of problem with them, i think ill get an innovate kit..

Kelly

Member +

the only thing that doesnt look normal is the bouncing to me but if you look at the readings when its doing this they are very close together i.e normal? maybe it is to do with the cigeratte lighter? other than that it deffo behaves the same as ours on idle/startup.

Rory

Lifer
Kon - Ill see if i can get the sensor up to temperature, and see how it behaves.

Dan - I should have done that myself....

Kelly

Member +
everyone i know who has used one so far as had some form of problem with them, i think ill get an innovate kit..

Ours works fine its just the sensor could do with replacing, as its been in the car for a year and a half now and it doesnt get a nice easy ride :p
Plus dont they all use the same BOSCH sensors anyhow?

Kon - the guy who installed the sensor followed the instructions on where to place it maybe its just old.

goldenvtr

Member +
where do you have the sensor located?i plan on doing mine about 1foot away from the downpipe after meeting the middle section.

goldenvtr

Member +
Ours works fine its just the sensor could do with replacing, as its been in the car for a year and a half now and it doesnt get a nice easy ride :p
Plus dont they all use the same BOSCH sensors anyhow?

Kon - the guy who installed the sensor followed the instructions on where to place it maybe its just old.

do you leave yours in? yeah they do all use the same sensor, but the actual AEM guage seems to have a few problems. ill only use mine ocasinally, i have the EGT's otherwise

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
mine's just behind the sump

DSC00559.jpg

HYBRID

naah, age wouldnt affect it, unless u had tried using racing fuel? coz that really buggers the hell out of bosch sensors..

either that or its all the addetives that bp, shell etc throw in that fine petrol we dont get lol... but im pretty sure its heater related :)

kon

Rory

Lifer
where do you have the sensor located?i plan on doing mine about 1foot away from the downpipe after meeting the middle section.

Like the dyno operators, up the tail pipe in a tube.
i dont plan on using it in one car, i have oder cars with carbs that will see benifits of it.

Kelly

Member +
do you leave yours in? yeah they do all use the same sensor, but the actual AEM guage seems to have a few problems. ill only use mine ocasinally, i have the EGT's otherwise

Yeh its in always, Never hand a problem with the gauge its spot on! :)