all over 4 me

stedee

Member +
ive had nothing but trouble with my gt, cured blowing of white smoke and water in my catch can, needed new head( tiny and i mean tiny cracks in it), got it running sweet
changed oil etc etc even though the water hadnt mixed with the oil it seemed to get vented off as steam and my big ends have gone, never had them gone b4 on a car but i know instantly thats whats gone
i was trying to sell the car aswell - good job i didnt cos i wouldnt have believed the buyer and i wouldnt of wanted to sting anyone like that.
anyway decision made its going to be broken - sales thread will follow shortly
i`m afraid its put me off starlets big time and you are a good crew on here but hey onwards and upwards, probably get an evo 6

Last edited by a moderator:

poke

Member +
ya mate there a delicate little car your right to strip it and bye another one youd pick another one up for alright money these days!!id say give starlets another chance cause there serious fun to drive for a 1.3!!the five is a very nice evo love them cars!!:p

sx_turbo

Lifer
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

such a shame to break dude, sometimes you can get away with just replacing the shells, they can be had for £25-30 and obviously a spot of labour.

shame u had so many problems, kinda like me, but you know when to get out lol

Beaker

Member +
Real shame. I really like the look of your GT and the spec is just about perfect what I want. And this is coming from a Glanza owner!

stedee

Member +
lol b4 i replaced the head i thought it was just a small leak on the hg so just changed that then found it didnt make a bloody difference, it was only a tiny leak so iwas trying to be preventative, it never overheated or anything, just blew a bit of white smoke when cold and when cooling down but i said then if anything else goes its getting stripped hoping the car would prove me wrong and last years - in my dreams, in 6 months i also changed a rear caliper, alternator and other stuff aswell.

bloody thing - lol

Spoonz

Member +
Big end shells are easy to change mate only got to take the sump of u can do it all from underneath the car :)

turbojim

Lifer
hardship

i bought my car just before i turned 17 paid 3.5k for it i was only driving it 2 nights and the head gasket went so got that all fixed and 3 weeks arter that my bearings went so just got a whole new engine out of a glanza and since then never looked back i love my car but recently broke it to fund the new project and the starlet im building now i will never sell i love them cars and for some its worse than others im just saying they are not all that bad

stedee

Member +
yeah i know mate some you win some you lose, some cars last years without any troulble with a thrashing everyday, some give you grief all the time, i know which one i found
btw about the shells i did hear once its rattling the crank has been damaged.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
You need to really inspect it and see if it is scored. In general they are really reliable, it's a Toyota at the end of the day, the car in front is a..... and built to last but I know what you mean with being unlucky :(

Why don't you expect first before making any rash decisions? Evos can be a pain in the arse as well trust me!

T

dantheman

Member +
yeah like tobe says, you need to inspect the crank, however if its been knocking its safe to say its ganna need regrinding.. i wouldnt let it put you off mate, the 4e is a very good engine, think you just been unlucky, an evo 5 will get you more troubles and you WILL have a lighter wallet after having one. :p they blow pistons,clutches,bottom ends just as much as any other ragged turbo car.. except they cost twice as much to fix!

stedee

Member +
yeah like tobe says, you need to inspect the crank, however if its been knocking its safe to say its ganna need regrinding.. i wouldnt let it put you off mate, the 4e is a very good engine, think you just been unlucky, an evo 5 will get you more troubles and you WILL have a lighter wallet after having one. :p they blow pistons,clutches,bottom ends just as much as any other ragged turbo car.. except they cost twice as much to fix!

lol i think you mentioned that magic word = turbo = problems

PelvisGt

Member +
I had an advance that was just one problem after another, clutch, engine blew, suspension was completly fooked, I loved the little car but it was time to sell it.

I then looked around but because of my age i couldnt get anything bigger like an evo etc. SO i went for a 106 gti, i had it all lined up and ready to buy and i contacted the insuarnce company and they said it would be 500£ more than my starlet was !

So i looked around and bought another gt and its been fine :)

Just seems like theres some bad ones out there and some good ones :(

To be fair any turbo cars seem a little less reible just because theres more going on in them. But they do bring smiles with them :)

Goodluck with whatever path you choose :)