Anodising alloy wheel lips NI

jonny-boi32

Member +
does any of the NI guys know where to get the lips of alloy wheels anodised?? my advan sa3r s need done badly. has anyone got this done before?? how much does it cost??

Last edited:

alan_d

Lifer
have you tried AMF in ballymena? they might well take the job on but I wouldnt imagine it would be cheap and the wheels would no doubt need to be surgically clean first!

T: 028 2563 1066

jonny-boi32

Member +
have you tried AMF in ballymena? they might well take the job on but I wouldnt imagine it would be cheap and the wheels would no doubt need to be surgically clean first!

T: 028 2563 1066

never heard of them. where are they in ballymena??

danb87

South East England Area Rep
i ask a company who did anodising but they said they cant too it as the wheels that are already anodised come in too parts before then get the anodised bit done then im guessin welded together too make the complete wheel. if the company can do it for you mate please let me know so i can complain lol

jonny-boi32

Member +
i ask a company who did anodising but they said they cant too it as the wheels that are already anodised come in too parts before then get the anodised bit done then im guessin welded together too make the complete wheel. if the company can do it for you mate please let me know so i can complain lol

i did think to myself, how will they get to the back of the anodized part of the lip on the sa6r, it goes way in. how the fuk are we susposed to keep these wheels good!!

alan_d

Lifer
Anodising isn't like painting, the metal item is submerged in a fluid, and hooked up to electricity (neg if I recall my tech class from 12 years ago correctly lol) then placed under load. The chemicals in the fluid attract and stick to the metal and react with it, forming a perfectly uniform coating throughout wherever the electrolyte can reach

jonny-boi32

Member +
Anodising isn't like painting, the metal item is submerged in a fluid, and hooked up to electricity (neg if I recall my tech class from 12 years ago correctly lol) then placed under load. The chemicals in the fluid attract and stick to the metal and react with it, forming a perfectly uniform coating throughout wherever the electrolyte can reach

but how do they jus get it on the front lip and not the whole rim??

jonny-boi32

Member +

right found a local company that alan d suggested, they can and have done alloy wheels, they tape up the parts that arent getting anodised, but they need to remove the anodised material 1st, which leave a dull finish and if they anodise it it will be dull in colour, so they recommend getting the wheels lips polished at this stage (which they dont do) then take it back so they can anodise them and have a nice bright shinny finish. and they charge £150 for the process. so it will be £150 plus the cost of removing tires, getting rims polished, fitting tires again. quite a bit of money to jus do the lips. plus my spokes would do witha refurb. think i will leave it till after i get car on road.

alan_d

Lifer
Happy days - glad in one way that the contact turned out good - rocker covers/IC pipes anyone :D
lol

on a side note - what about plastikote metallic blue - I used it on my IC pipes, and robbo has done wheels with it - pics below!

bestsideonnewbluewheels.jpg

belfastmeetmybay.jpg

obviously doused with lacquer the colour deepens - and all for under a tenner lol!

danb87

right found a local company that alan d suggested, they can and have done alloy wheels, they tape up the parts that arent getting anodised, but they need to remove the anodised material 1st, which leave a dull finish and if they anodise it it will be dull in colour, so they recommend getting the wheels lips polished at this stage (which they dont do) then take it back so they can anodise them and have a nice bright shinny finish. and they charge £150 for the process. so it will be £150 plus the cost of removing tires, getting rims polished, fitting tires again. quite a bit of money to jus do the lips. plus my spokes would do witha refurb. think i will leave it till after i get car on road.

is that per wheel or for all 4?

danb87

Happy days - glad in one way that the contact turned out good - rocker covers/IC pipes anyone :D
lol

on a side note - what about plastikote metallic blue - I used it on my IC pipes, and robbo has done wheels with it - pics below!

belfastmeetmybay.jpg

obviously doused with lacquer the colour deepens - and all for under a tenner lol!

that is one clean looking engine bay mate

jonny-boi32

Member +
lol

belfastmeetmybay.jpg

wonder what red would look like...

jonny-boi32

Member +
thats cheap mate

well to get four wheels rubbed down and sprayed is £200 and for them to tape up wheel and dip it in a tank is £150, plus still need to get wheels polished between times. could work out dear enough, well suppose thats they joys of jdm.