any one on here good with employment law?

5e colin

Member +
as to when u get sacked unfair etc etc ??

theres a site with the law on it but i forgotten the name will surf there for ya in a min

davehart

Member +
I know a little, or at least as much as needed so I do my job right when recruiting.

What seems to be the issue?

sx_turbo

Lifer
sorry guys, i sorted it now.

it was to do with a new contract of employment at work, its and extremely vague contract, and gives the company complete control of my life if they so wished.

it states that in signing the contract i am agreeing to work any time between 8am-8pm 7 days a week, and i have to in the interests of the company, if they so wish, work more than 48 hours per week, i can opt out of working over the 48 hours by giving 3 months signed and written notice.

although it does say that i can have time of in lieu, it is at the managers discretion. so if the manager wants to be an arse he can.

so i spoke to acas, about the complete vagueness within the contract, and i have no option to sign.

davehart

Member +
Most companies have those kind of contracts these days, its either sign it or find something else as they are the same for everybody else.

Anytime between 8am and 8pm sounds good to me :)

H_D

Member +
At least its not a 0 hour contract,
Times are hard financially for most people right now and employers are taking advantage of this.

dac69er

Super Moderator
same as pretty much anywhere.

but in practice, most employers don't take full advantage of everything they can milk from you.

i used to bust my balls for the company i work for, but once i have noticed they never care how much extra effort you put in and they never discipline people as its an absolute mindfield, you can get away with doing a lot less work for the same recognition.

at the end of the day, if you don't sign it, they will find someone who will, and they know it.

Rev

Member +
As said probably not realistic but I wish you could insert the words 'or pay' after time off at managers discretion.

Sometimes I have put a small neat 'no' into pages of contract and disclose it in the email the guys looking at the contract didn't pick it up.

I have sometimes inserted the word 'fair' into contracts maybe some legal advice on this can be a help. If the Company don't agree it makes them look bad proposing an unfair contract and duress can have legal implications in some circumstances. The legal term is fair and reasonable .

To be honest i had alternative employment when I did this so the risk to the family was manageable.
Good luck with your employer and plan a promotion sooner rather than later so they have less chance of taking advantage of you.

PS My wife suggests ask your Union , as they should be experts at this if they are not start a new Union for your industry.

Last edited: