anyone know how to restore work on excel 2003 on vista

dark_knight

Member +
i may be able to help. please tell me what version (build) of windows vista you are running - you can do this by right-clicking the computer icon and heading to 'Properties'. also, what version of microsoft office 2003 - check the 'About Excel 2003' under the 'Help' menu.

this aside, depending on how much writing to your hdd you have done since this event, you can attempt the following steps;
a) on the file menu, head to 'Tools' then 'Options'
b) find the 'Save' tab and click to open. you'll spot an auto-recovery folder path
c) copy that text and paste it in the address bar of your file browser (Windows Explorer)
d) once the location opens, browse to see if your data resides there
e) you may also see/find a "XLSTART" folder, check in there too

all the best mate.. :)

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Did it not prompt you to save when you closed the window?

The only way it will restore anything, is if you have automatic backups running, which is unlikely, or if excel crashes, upon opening excel again it will restore your work.

If it hasn't done this I would say get typing dude and learn from ur mistakes, not saving once within 3 hours is mad tbh...

I learnt the hard way too at doing a level technology... project document was created over 2 years and got it finished, plugged my usb pen into a different pc that was the only pc linked to the a3 printer and when I tried to print, the file was corrupt... I had no backups on it... took the IT admin guy about 2 days to try and restore my work that he was able to patch up from older versions that were automatically backed up on the school server... unless something like this has happened ie in a workplace or something, I doubt you will get it back dude...

whiteglanzav

Member +
cheers boys for the help looks like its lost tho - never mind i have been doing this for like 3 1/2 years and this is the first time i forgot to save it damn ! lol

repd

Paul_JJ

Member +
Put autosave in options and always do a backup - better if on another drive(s).

If you have a corrupted Excel or Word file then download OpenOffice and try to open it with their software this way you will be able to recover some of the data!

I had 5 hours of work in Word lost once, due to the powercut - was well pissed off, since then backup and autosave every minute -)

JohnDempsey

Fresh Recruit
as above i just closed the wrong window and now i cant find like 3 hours worth of work i did on friday ...
repair excel files*after such errors as: Microsoft Excel unable to read file, This file is not in a recognizable format, EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. Program demonstrates a table with all data that it has recovered in its window. It works with *.xls, *,xlt, *.xlsx, xlsm, *.xltm, *.xltx, *.xlam formats of files. Tool starts under all popular Windows OS. Here demo version of tool http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/download/RecoveryToolboxForExcelInstall.exe