apexi power fc question

AdamB

Member +
If you mean changing from dizzy setup to wasted spark or coil on plug, I don't believe it can be done.

haydn28

Member +
i was referring to something like MSD 6al or similar which keeps the dizzy setup ,sorry , i should have made my post clearer

AdamB

Member +
If you wish to swap ignition coils, then yes it should work ok, providing the wiring and signal wiring is correct.

haydn28

Member +
i used a msd 6al with a tach adaptor successfully years ago on a stock ecu and piggy back, i really dont want to chance anything going wrong on my power fc, hence the question

yes you can do that.

You can also run a CDI setup but you will need an additional box, there was someone in Australia making them, to allow a power fc setup for dizzy magnetic input signal to convert to a CDI setup.

The power fc only uses the Dizzy to generate a crank angle signal (works it back from cam angle) and then sends an fire order to the ignitor to fire the coil and the rotor arm then just puts it down the correct plug lead. This box connects into the ignitor fire signal, and with a couple of other crank angle signals and RPM works out which cylinder should be firing. So when the powerfc sends the fire signal to the ignitor, it instead goes to this box which interns says #1 cylinder which passes the fire order down to the Coil on Plug and you get a spark.

Prietty simple when you think about it.

I looked into this when i was doing the mr2 drag car setup, we managed to get to 720bhp at 2.4bar boost using a power fc with normal dizzy setup ignition, We had a missfire at 670bhp with maginore leads, that cleared by using stock toyota leads (proven that stock toyota leads are the best) but then misfire returned just over 720bhp even with using an uprated coil and ignition amplifier we couldn't solve it, so swapped to a Link G4 storm ecu to run CDI setup which solved it and allowed us to go higher, But about 6 months after this i found this box coming out of australia which converted the power fc signal coil to CDI

Tim

haydn28

Member +

Prietty simple when you think about it.

I looked into this when i was doing the mr2 drag car setup, we managed to get to 720bhp at 2.4bar boost using a power fc with normal dizzy setup ignition, We had a missfire at 670bhp with maginore leads, that cleared by using stock toyota leads (proven that stock toyota leads are the best) but then misfire returned just over 720bhp even with using an uprated coil and ignition amplifier we couldn't solve it, so swapped to a Link G4 storm ecu to run CDI setup which solved it and allowed us to go higher, But about 6 months after this i found this box coming out of australia which converted the power fc signal coil to CDI

Tim

my plan is to run a 75 shot nitrous on the current set up which is already over (4efte) 350hp ,I've done it with a COP set up , but I'd like to try the dizzy setup on a new car I'm using with the power fc

I know that the 3s ignition is similar to the 4e so I'm assuming from your above post it should be a breeze for me to run ????

well as we were running at 720bhp was standard coil, dizzy cap, rotorarm, plug leads (3sgte) uprated Racing grade NGK 9 plugs, and a HKS ignition amplifier.

This worked fine although i will admit the COP setup did really bring the car alive, but this was right on the limit, if your getting a similar spark intensity then i don't see any issues at all.

we were also using a 75 shot of nitrous for a spooling aid as the turbo we had was a GT4202r (102mm compressor)

Tim

ben10

Member +
sounds like tim knows his stuff :) why can i not come work for you building high performance engines :) dream job or what