Begginer, buying, insurance.

totts

Fresh Recruit
Hi, im 18 / 19 in a month or so, im looking for a new car , im looking for a toyota starlet glanza v ep91. I have a 1.6 astra atm and i am starting to think why pay so much on fuel when i can have a 1.3 and is quicker? I know its a tubro and pressing the loud pedal wil probs kill my fuel, but i cant be worse than my 1.6 astra can it?

So iv come to you guys to ask,

Reliabilty
things to watch out for when buying
and ar parts easy to come by because of being imported?

Oh and last thing, my insurance quote on admiral was £864 fully comp on a glanza import, is it me or is this really cheap?

cheers.

M

mad_max926

i didnt think admiral insured glanza as my friend was tryin to get insured on one couple months back i think they think they r 1.3 n/a but not 100% phone em n let em no its a turbo does sound cheap i pay 1700 and im 21 in june with 1yncb and 3point

churcherj

Member +
Hi, im 18 / 19 in a month or so, im looking for a new car , im looking for a toyota starlet glanza v ep91. I have a 1.6 astra atm and i am starting to think why pay so much on fuel when i can have a 1.3 and is quicker? I know its a tubro and pressing the loud pedal wil probs kill my fuel, but i cant be worse than my 1.6 astra can it?

So iv come to you guys to ask,

Reliabilty
things to watch out for when buying
and ar parts easy to come by because of being imported?

Oh and last thing, my insurance quote on admiral was £864 fully comp on a glanza import, is it me or is this really cheap?

cheers.

you have to be careful here mate when you compare your current car to a glanza v, firstly that quote from admiral is "wrong" i cant stress that enough, they do not insure glanza V's it will quote you on their system but when they go and confirm details they do not insure them! and it wont be that cheap, ur easily looking at 1500 thrid part fire and theft minimum,

jap import + turbo + young driver = NO NO lol

id be very suprised if you got less than 1500 tpft on a glanza v, most places wont insure you either unless youve had 2 years driving experience on your licence, your astra will be way cheaper to insure

as for petrol its like anything, they are good if you drive it sensibley, but if your out for fuel economy why go for a glanza? get a diesel lol, the glanza is made for performance

they are very reliable cars if maintained well, pretty faultless mechanically, like most things jap i suppose, toyota make some of the best engines in my opinion! parts are hard to come by through normal garages, but they are easy to get off members on here or certain traders

if you do decide to get one, you will need to go to adrian flux, sky insurance or somewhere like that to get a quote, let me know how much it is....

also if you buy one, do your usual checks, fuel leaks etc, check the turbo spools and hold boosts ok, also check the alignment of the chasis as these cars do have a tendacy to either fall of the road, or stacked by some boy racer!

hope that helps abit, for more info on buying these cars, theres a thread about importing them, what to look out for when buying and more stuff on the site

oh and welcome :)

Last edited:

totts

Fresh Recruit
haha thankyou, yeh i fawt as much, i was going to look at one the weekend, when i go on their website i put the full car details in, e.g in the window it comes up at, toyota starlet glanza v 1,331cc 3door (imp)

the imp im guessing is import, and when i first saw this quote quite literaly froze lol.

Well im not looking for economy much, but i drive quite a bit, and would like a smaller car other than haing to lug around a 5dr astra all day lol.

churcherj

Member +
haha thankyou, yeh i fawt as much, i was going to look at one the weekend, when i go on their website i put the full car details in, e.g in the window it comes up at, toyota starlet glanza v 1,331cc 3door (imp)

the imp im guessing is import, and when i first saw this quote quite literaly froze lol.

Well im not looking for economy much, but i drive quite a bit, and would like a smaller car other than haing to lug around a 5dr astra all day lol.

ye the website does say that, but they do not insure these cars, tbh i dont have a clue why its on their website quotation system,

to give you an idea of how messed up it is, i did a quote a while back on this, glanza v import gave me 720 full comp, then i changed the car to a glanza s "non turbo" and it went up to 850! then to a civic vtec sport 1.6 115bhp insurance group 8, and went up to near on 1000! doesnt that tell you its wrong? lol

ye i can get 32mpg out of mine if i drive it good, i had a seat ibiza fr tdi before this, mapped to 190bhp and loooads of torque it flew and i could get 65+mpg on a run! soo good on fuel mate and would hold its on too alot of cars on the road, very deceiving for a diesel,

if you do go for a glanza, which you should :p, theres loads of good people on here to give you advice and point u in the right direction with regards to what to look out for when buying etc

totts

Fresh Recruit
yeh i did the car i have now on admiral and aparently its an 8v, which it is oh most definately a 16v lol. Well looks like i gona have to start saving a few more pennys, roll on overtime lol. Yeh i think these cars are great and an idea wolf in sheeps clothing tack tick lol. My brother had an import, and we both lovered the fact that he was the only person in our town with that model of car, maybe even the next few towns, Well should be able to put 2years noclaims on the glanza when i can afford them, so will bring it down a tad hopefuly.

churcherj

Member +
yeh i did the car i have now on admiral and aparently its an 8v, which it is oh most definately a 16v lol. Well looks like i gona have to start saving a few more pennys, roll on overtime lol. Yeh i think these cars are great and an idea wolf in sheeps clothing tack tick lol. My brother had an import, and we both lovered the fact that he was the only person in our town with that model of car, maybe even the next few towns, Well should be able to put 2years noclaims on the glanza when i can afford them, so will bring it down a tad hopefuly.

ye that should do mate, ye these cars are quite rare over here u dont see many, different storey in ireland think they are more common! u will love the glanza, great little car and loads of potential to be had from it!

totts

Fresh Recruit
looking forward to it, quite hard to find one nearby atm hopefuly that will be better as im saving, also what would you start classing as high milage, i wudnt wana go much over 60,000miles, found one at 49,000 literaly untouched. ooo forgot to say parts for the glanzas hard to come by?

churcherj

Member +
looking forward to it, quite hard to find one nearby atm hopefuly that will be better as im saving, also what would you start classing as high milage, i wudnt wana go much over 60,000miles, found one at 49,000 literaly untouched. ooo forgot to say parts for the glanzas hard to come by?

mines done 80,000 they are pretty bulletproof, just check service history if you can mate,

easy to come by on here, loads of traders that can get you any sort of part! camskill are also good for all genuine toyota parts mate, you wont have any issues at all that side of things

J25GTi

Lifer
I have quoted this for truth...

Admiral, elephant or bell wont cover you, i drove all the way to hampshire to get my V, rang up elephant to get the quote then they turn round and tell me they wont insure me, like yeah thanks, im not 350miles away from my home with no way of driving this car back! Bastards...

Dont be tempted to insure it as a GT either, as they tried to make me do that too, but obviously wont be covered when you crash etc

Repped Churcher :rockon:

you have to be careful here mate when you compare your current car to a glanza v, firstly that quote from admiral is "wrong" i cant stress that enough, they do not insure glanza V's it will quote you on their system but when they go and confirm details they do not insure them! and it wont be that cheap, ur easily looking at 1500 thrid part fire and theft minimum,

jap import + turbo + young driver = NO NO lol

id be very suprised if you got less than 1500 tpft on a glanza v, most places wont insure you either unless youve had 2 years driving experience on your licence, your astra will be way cheaper to insure

as for petrol its like anything, they are good if you drive it sensibley, but if your out for fuel economy why go for a glanza? get a diesel lol, the glanza is made for performance

they are very reliable cars if maintained well, pretty faultless mechanically, like most things jap i suppose, toyota make some of the best engines in my opinion! parts are hard to come by through normal garages, but they are easy to get off members on here or certain traders

if you do decide to get one, you will need to go to adrian flux, sky insurance or somewhere like that to get a quote, let me know how much it is....

also if you buy one, do your usual checks, fuel leaks etc, check the turbo spools and hold boosts ok, also check the alignment of the chasis as these cars do have a tendacy to either fall of the road, or stacked by some boy racer!

hope that helps abit, for more info on buying these cars, theres a thread about importing them, what to look out for when buying and more stuff on the site

oh and welcome :)