Best front tires for quarter mile?

glanzanut

Lifer
as above whats the opinions on best are where to get?
had a look on camskill dimensions are 14" 185 55
thanks

finx

Member +
there is a common misconception that the biggest and stickiest tyre is the best and will gain you the best results. this is entirely false.
there is such a thing as over tiring your car. you need to choose the right tyre to suit your application and there are many variables to consider.

as most know most of your time is made in the 1st half of the track and again of that time the most influential part is the 60ft. but to get a good 60ft time first you need the power to be capable of accelerating that fast then you need to get it to grip

for example if you go chuck MT's on a ct9 set up youll most likely go slower. this would be due to the low down power curve and overall low level of power.
so essentially you will bog the launch almost every time as even at max rpm you dont have the power to spin the tyres and move the weight of the car forwards as its all taken up in the tyres
the other part of it is that drag tyres have large side walls (larger than street tyres) and this in turn increases your final drive ratio and so lengthening your gear ratios which slows acceleration and doesn't suit the power band of the car in question.
so on that particular set up you would be looking at ruffly fastest possible 60ft of 1.9XX sec. i am yet to run faster after spending hours and hours making changes to get more grip and it making little difference (even larger tyres would yeild little increase in time) or see anyone else do so due to power restriction)

in drag racing you require a small amount of wheel spin to increase acceleration. this 'amount' is an art to get correct and pro drag teams spend hours dialing in tyre pressures suspension weight bias boost response etc etc to get the right amount of wheel spin to maximize acceleration and trap speed thus maximising the elapsed time (ET)

essentially what im trying to get at is work out what power you have or want to acheive, what gear ratios you are running, what size rim and side wall to match and then also the class restrictions that u want to run with and go from there before going out just throwing money at the biggest tyres that will fit in the guards.

hope that makes sence anyhow.
if you post some more information i may be able to help point you in the right direction of a tyre that will most benefit your needs and car set up

cheers
Ryan

Last edited:

glanzanut

Lifer
thanks for takin the time to explane that mate, well its a vf8 turbo setup 210atw, with standard gear ratios.
its just i know as soon as it comes on boost on road tires 1st and second will just disapear in a cloud of wheel spin

scot-ish

Member +
you'z are a pair of fucks, only going up there cos im away, you'z are so selfish. any chance sometime in january there will be dry day, or we could go down york in march april time?

on a more thread stealing note.

Finx,

can you recomend me some tyres,

im running 330bhp, 15's, standard gear ratios, trd lsd. and i have launch control on EMU, but i might get rid of that.

cheers

glanzanut

Lifer
you'z are a pair of fucks, only going up there cos im away, you'z are so selfish. any chance sometime in january there will be dry day, or we could go down york in march april time?

on a more thread stealing note.

Finx,

can you recomend me some tyres,

im running 330bhp, 15's, standard gear ratios, trd lsd. and i have launch control on EMU, but i might get rid of that.

cheers

pfft, aint scared of u either :p xxx

scot-ish

Member +
i dont want you to be, just dont wanna go to the strip myself lol.

think i might buy a trailer next year, and a pickup, that way i can just bash my car round the track, or down the strip, and then put it on the trailer home lol.

scot-ish

Member +
i wish i knew it was on, im shit at checking stuff like that, ive came back offshore 2 weeks early, cos i never had much left to do at home. stuck offshore now till 18th december, and then its not really the weather for a 1/4 lol.

chris, my net is shite on here, have a look at the dates for york online, and see when suits, im off all january, end of march, all april, and then july august, well roughly how it looks, guna try get to santa pod this year coming aswell.