best turbo to suit an unforged engine?

dave-izzle

Member +
I'm stuck over what turbo to get. A hybrid CT9 or a td04. My engine wont be getting forged, but have all other supporting mods to suffice with a turbo upgrade. I thought a td04 would be best with a forged engine so you can whack the boost up and get the best out of it, where a hybrid ct9 would best suit an 'unforged' engine setup?

dave-izzle

Member +
as its unforged, boost would be around the typical 1.1 - 1.2 area. Like i said. i have all supporting mods and what not. made 174 on the dyno not long ago. wouldve been more but boost controller needed mapping and the mani had a crack in it :(

So somehting that would see me over 200 +

y3Lo

Member +
hybrid imo, dont realy see the point owning td04 if you dont plan to forge so cant use it's full potential?

GTwayne

Member +
If your not looking at way over 200bhp then I'd say the hybrid, although 1.2bar is still a lot of boost for an unforged engine. Get it set up properly and you shouldn't have any problems.

ChrisW

Lifer
I've just made this exact decision mate and went for the hybrid ;).

It isnt a good idea to run 1.2bar on standard internals whatever the turbo so a TD04's potential would kind of be wasted and you'd still have that extra bit of lag that the hybrid wouldn't give you. I got my hybrid set up and mapped on Sat for 1bar and I can tell you its way quicker than I had hoped!

Oh ye and it will also cost you much much less if you already have a CT9 uprated mani, decat etc!

dave-izzle

Member +
I've just made this exact decision mate and went for the hybrid ;).

It isnt a good idea to run 1.2bar on standard internals whatever the turbo so a TD04's potential would kind of be wasted and you'd still have that extra bit of lag that the hybrid wouldn't give you. I got my hybrid set up and mapped on Sat for 1bar and I can tell you its way quicker than I had hoped!

Oh ye and it will also cost you much much less if you already have a CT9 uprated mani, decat etc!

great first hand experience mate. thanks for that advice! my speedvision mani has a crack so i need another one of those regardless. Have decat and a system :) Think i might have to get my wallet out

Deano

Banned
Whats the best hybrid combo to use? And is there anymore lag on a hybrid ct9 than a stock ct9? I eventually want to get one for my auto when I get the high stall converter done

ryan_v

Lifer
id go for a td04 for a few reasons:

wepr does the manifold that keeps your stock radiator!
there cheaper to pick up second hand if the turbo goes £50 ish (hybrid £400)
the exhaust side wont crack like ct9 exhaust sides when boost is raised
spuddy has 248bhp on stock internals!
the lag of a td04 isnt terrible
td04 power band is better, because when u drive spirited your in high revs hybrids kinda run out of power higher up imo.
td04 wont be working its tits off.

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
id go for a td04 for a few reasons:

wepr does the manifold that keeps your stock radiator!
there cheaper to pick up second hand if the turbo goes £50 ish (hybrid £400)
the exhaust side wont crack like ct9 exhaust sides when boost is raised
spuddy has 148bhp on stock internals!
the lag of a td04 isnt terrible
td04 power band is better, because when u drive spirited your in high revs hybrids kinda run out of power higher up imo.
td04 wont be working its tits off.

EXACTLY what ryan said.

though spuddy made 248, which is alot more tempting :)

Phil

Fro

Member +
Do hybrid ct9s always crack? I was about to order one :(

Also could anyone tell me whether if i bought a hybrid, would i need or benefit from Emange? Dont really know what it does tbh, I was going to get an electronic boost conroller though? Im running 1bar on standard turbo atm

starbogt

Member +
I personally think the hybrid spools way too early to get traction lol. Td04 is a better daily drive in my opinion but hey I've only been driving for 13years lol...the ct9 in all respect is well chosen for the 1.3 but the hybrids are expensive to buy. You have to bare in mind that a badly setup ct9 ot hybrid can blow an engine so when people say about what pressure you can/can't run on a td04 I think people should change tuners... There are people running reliable 280bhp + on standard internal due to amazing tuners.

I think you should go to a meet and get someone with a hybrid to take you out and someone in a td04 powered to take you out then you can decide which would suite your driving style.

GTwayne

Member +
I personally think the hybrid spools way too early to get traction lol. Td04 is a better daily drive in my opinion but hey I've only been driving for 13years lol...the ct9 in all respect is well chosen for the 1.3 but the hybrids are expensive to buy. You have to bare in mind that a badly setup ct9 ot hybrid can blow an engine so when people say about what pressure you can/can't run on a td04 I think people should change tuners... There are people running reliable 280bhp + on standard internal due to amazing tuners.

I think you should go to a meet and get someone with a hybrid to take you out and someone in a td04 powered to take you out then you can decide which would suite your driving style.

Who's running over 280bhp+ on standard internals?

gedis

Member +
Who's running over 280bhp+ on standard internals?

i run gt3082 on standart internals and it made 246bhp at 1 bar, but had a vacum leak a year a go and ran 1.5 bar for two days before realising it was that much boost without remap so dont know what she made at thet boost