Big problem!

p2d

Member +
When i took my wishbone off to fit the ALK i have, i hit a huge problem putting it back on!
P010508_1518.jpg

nut.jpg

The bolt goes through the frame, through the wishbone and then bolts back into the frame, but the nut is enclosed inside the frame.

My problem is, for some reason that nut inside the frame is now spinning freely, and because its INSIDE the frame, i can't stop it moving and thus, can't put the wishbone bolt back in.

I've asked a few mechanic friends and they both said "cut a hole small enough to hold the nut still, then bolt it up and leave it well alone".

Anyother ideas?

Mike

liamgtturbo

Member +
problem

i did this to my bros anti roll bar mate the nut inside is loose so we drilled a hole through both sides fitted a bolt big enough to go out through put washers etc and tighten it up job done. Remember to keep the hole exactly in line with the original. Thanks liam

liamgtturbo

Member +
problem

i see its a funny business when ye mess about wit that just unlucky mate il ask my bro he mite no some sort of fix, its good havin a mechanic in the family lol

Chris@CCM

Member +
try a air gun on it mate but i think ur going to have to cut it open and weld it back up when ur done

p2d

Member +
its a fucker, why make it a sealed unit!!!!

Thats another thing to set me back :(

p2d

Member +
Im thinking get the angle grinder, chop it open, attach everything back how it should be, then weld a plate over it, and it'll be as strong as, if not stronger than how it is. Does anyone know if its hollow, or a solid block of steel?

Surely there must be some kind of fix, what if it happened on a new car that was under warranty? I thought about stuffing it with glue, but then i wouldnt be able to screw the bolt back in. I could also drill a tiny hole and use a bit of metal or something to stop the nunt spinning just long enough to bolt it up. It'll never have to come off again once the LCAB is fitted.

Stupid Toyota people!!

Texx

Super Moderator
Had a very similar problem with a DC2 Integra last week when replacing the left front bottom arm. The nut broke loose inside the steering rack subframe and was floating around inside.

Managed to get it back together in the end by drilling a hole, elongating it with a cutting bit from a lathe and then poked a flat head screwdriver into the hole to hold the hut up while I started the bolt.

Was rather fiddly, but still held strong after. I think tho, you have answered your question, easiest way would be to cut/grind a hole and weld it back up after.

I would expect it to be hollow.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
drill a hole behind it with enough room to get a socket of the right size in. do it up. get someone to tack weld the new nut in place if you wanted too, then weld a plate over the hole and then stick a bit of black hammerite over it. sorted.