Bogging down @ 1st & 2nd gear... Need Help guys...

madayaw_ep82

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys,

A newbie here.

Hope you could help me out.

Im currently running on a stock block 4efte w/ tdo4L turbo.

Launching @ 5k RPM and wheel spin until red line. Launch at 4800rpm and the car bogs down.

My problem is, when I shifted to 2nd gear my rpm decreases from 7500rpm to 4000rpm which the turbo is still starting to spool which causes bogging down and hurting my E.T. I want to use full slick on the strip but even using on Federal 595 rsr street tires I get the same problem.:(

I dont really know what the problem is so pardon if I miss posted on the wrong section.

Hope to hear from the guru's here. I really need your help guy's..

Thanks you in advance.:)

when you say lanching you meaning lanch control or when your driving nailing it (booting it) revs shouldent be droping this much atall when changing to second, could still be wheel spining thanks dan

Last edited:

Fatman

Member +
Revs definitely do not drop from 7500 to 4000 on shift to second gear, if you're changing to second and seriously ending up at 4000rpm then you're still spinning the wheels in 1st and changing gear prematurely. Rev out first gear ALL the way for the best acceleration, if you're unable to modulate wheelspin with the throttle then it might pay to sit on the limiter for a brief period to allow road speed to catch up to wheel speed.

Aside from that, a td04 should be well into the meat of its boost curve by 4k rpm...

madayaw_ep82

Fresh Recruit
@ fatman,

my ep82 is hitting boost around 4500K and around 5k for the full boost.

Yes Im noticing wheel spin in 1st gear until red line and a bit in 2nd gear.

Tried bouncing the limiter 3x before engaging to 2nd and got a much more positive result without the case of bogging down. This is just
okay though if im using my street tires. But never tried it on slicks.

As for my Launching (@ staging lane) is it really normal for our 1300cc w/ tdo4 to bog down below 5000K rpm?

Because, I want to use my slicks but I have to hit 6000K rpm at launching just to keep it from bogging down and hitting the rev limit comes
very quick.

Is it normal for tdo4 equip. 4efte to launch at these RPM?

Somebody also suggested that I should use a bee R rev limiter or an MSD w/ launch controller so that when I engage the Launch controller
my turbo will be starting to boost and I can Launch @ 4000K RPM and dont bog down?

I have some practice clips . http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1271166198008&ref=mf

BTW. Out ran the mr2 at the end around 3 cars length.. :)

Im really sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Gord R

Member +
It sounds like your getting wheel spin off the line in 1st then trying to grab second to get traction but by doing this your bogging.

Surely by going to slicks you wont have the same traction issues in first so can get second at the right point?

Or am i missing something!?

Fatman

Member +
@ fatman,

my ep82 is hitting boost around 4500K and around 5k for the full boost.

Yes Im noticing wheel spin in 1st gear until red line and a bit in 2nd gear.

Tried bouncing the limiter 3x before engaging to 2nd and got a much more positive result without the case of bogging down. This is just
okay though if im using my street tires. But never tried it on slicks.

As for my Launching (@ staging lane) is it really normal for our 1300cc w/ tdo4 to bog down below 5000K rpm?

Because, I want to use my slicks but I have to hit 6000K rpm at launching just to keep it from bogging down and hitting the rev limit comes
very quick.

Is it normal for tdo4 equip. 4efte to launch at these RPM?

Somebody also suggested that I should use a bee R rev limiter or an MSD w/ launch controller so that when I engage the Launch controller
my turbo will be starting to boost and I can Launch @ 4000K RPM and dont bog down?

Im really sorry for my ignorance.

No need to apologise, you're asking questions in the right place in the right manner, I'm always happy to help out somebody who is willing to learn rather than just be spoon fed.

I'm glad to hear my suggestion worked, that definitely shows it's just the management of wheelspin that needs addressing, not some sort of crazy gear ratio problem!

To answer your spool question, no, 4500-5000 is extraordinarily high for what I assume is a standard TD04L? Not some sort of crazy hybrid or a TD05? What sort of boost are you running?

Launch RPM is a complex subject, subject to many variables. Aside from engine displacement/turbo size some other key things to consider are flywheel weight, available grip, severity of the clutch engagement, whether you're using launch control and probably many more things I can't think of off the top of my head.

A lighter flywheel provides less energy storage @ any given RPM. The energy stored in the flywheel is what gets you moving before your engine has a chance to see the now open throttle and wind up some boost. Though many people 'upgrade' to a lighter flywheel, this can actually be very counter productive in a drag racing scenario where managing power off the line is quite literally the difference between miserable failure (bog/stall) and great success (ideal 60', best possible ET). My point is, your RPM launch point (effectively how much energy you're able to instantly load the tires with) will vary with flywheel weight. Even small differences in weight (e.g the spread across even the stock standard unit, they do vary) may affect ideal launch RPM by a substantial amount. You can't really compare between cars, especially given very varied traction conditions.

Far and away the best way for you to launch a car at the strip in a consistent fashion is with launch control. This can be built into an aftermarket ECU or come as a stand alone unit (such as the MSD). These devices usually do three things, 1 retard spark timing. This in effect expels the still expanding gasses from the exhaust ports prematurely, the expansion in the exhaust can make a bit difference to turbo spool. 2 add fuel. Similar to timing, adding lots of extra fuel promotes a rich mix literally burning as it's going out the exhaust ports. Further expanding gasses to spool turbo. 3 add configurable rev limit via spark cut. You set the unit to 4500 rpm, it will retard spark, add fuel and once you reach 4500 will cut spark on overrun, allowing you to sit at exactly the right rpm.

Launch control is definitely something to look into if you want to win races!

However, I would avoid the Bee R. They are very simple devices that have some very odd effects on spark timing. I've seen several engines damaged by their use. I haven't got any experience with the MSD, however their gear is usually good.

With launch control you could potentially LOWER your launch RPM, although you still need the energy in your flywheel, your turbo is already spooled and throttle is already wide open. Electronics react much quicker and power will be produced near instantly. Finding this sweet spot is just a matter of trial and error (and preferably some proper drag strip timing gear)

madayaw_ep82

Fresh Recruit
@ Fatman

Thank you very much for the help.

I was also considering purchasing MSD w/ adjustable launch and rev limiter adjustment.

Well, given what you have said. Then MSD is considered sold.

Thank's alot again.

Until next time.

Ill give an update soon.

weeJohn

Lifer
5K revs launching with a TD04 and road tyres is not far away, you are boggin down in 2nd because the car is spinning it wheels to the rev limit but is not going at any considerable speed because it was spinning. Then when you throw the car into 2nd it is getting traction, but the speed it is travelling at the revs are then to low for your power band.

On road tyres with a FWD Starlet once you get it going off the line there is not much point in flooring it as all you get is wheel spin. You either need to hold back on the power to stop a lot of spinning or bounce it off the limiter as you said to get your speed up.

Have you tried launching in 2nd and slipping the clutch to keep the revs about 5K?

Last edited:

Saard

Fresh Recruit
2fatman.
sorry for my broken English, please.
does have sense to start from 2 gear with launch control( IIC460t) . how this is effective with 300 hp engine and c50 transmission, of course 2 plate clutch