Boost issues . 0-1bar then a slow creep down to 0.5...

Sii

Member +
I've had the eManage issues resolved by XO Power Tuning in Cramlington near Newcastle, however I've now noticed that when setting to the boost to 1bar on the HDi EBC it spikes to 1 bar then slowly creeps down to 0.5

What could this be due to? a weak spring in the actuator? it's not an HKS example, just a standard looking one that car with the TD04 turbo kit.

I've heard of some people's grumblings with the HDi EBC but I was unsure as to what they experienced. Was it anything like my issue?

I've gone and checked all the boost piping and I can't see anywhere there could be leaks.

Thanks in advance,
Sii

Last edited:

sx_turbo

Lifer
the stock td04 actuator isnt the greatest.

also it's possible that the wastegate in the turbo is cracked.

but more likely it's the hdi boost controller.

Sii

Member +
Checked the wastegate before I put it on and it locked spot on, would it just weld up (external side obviously) if it needed fixing?

How much should I be looking to pay for an HKS actuator roughly?

if it is the HDi what is it's problem? It can't hold the boost? I know you mentioned it's more likely to be the HDi but what are they failing to hold boost due to? ... if it is the unit at fault

kieran.s gt

Member +
Checked the wastegate before I put it on and it locked spot on, would it just weld up (external side obviously) if it needed fixing?

How much should I be looking to pay for an HKS actuator roughly?

if it is the HDi what is it's problem? It can't hold the boost? I know you mentioned it's more likely to be the HDi but what are they failing to hold boost due to? ... if it is the unit at fault

have you tried running boost from actuator only to eliminate the boost controller being at fault

Fatman

Member +
The HDI boost controller doesn't have the ability to run boost lower than the base setting of the actuator, remove the controller and establish what boost it's running stock first. Depending on what that tells you it might be an issue with exhaust back pressure or leaks in a number of places

Sii

Member +
I understand that the EBC can't make boot disappear, I know the actuator is running around 0.5 bar so I can only assume it's the EBC at fault at the moment. I'm off work so off into the garage soon, remove the EBC from the loop and see what we get on the gauge.

Then plumb it back in, set it up and recheck all of my boost lines, make sure I have UBER tight cable ties on each end.

sx_turbo

Lifer
the hdi unit is extremely basic in it's function thats the problem.

the solenoid it uses is actually rather good, it's the brain that isnt so clever.

most ebc's allow you to adjust gain and boost to rpm's etc, but the hdi is just a dial, and has preset settings so isnt quite as good as others out there.

the only good thing about the hdi's is that there simple to use.

i personally have a hdi ebc and to be honest i havnt used it, as my car is never on the road

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
in my opinion the HDI EBC is no better than a manual boost controller. it can't really compensate for anything like all of the higher brand boost controlers like blitz or apex'i.

Sii

Member +
Cheers for all the comment guys, I have been busy today maching polishing the car and tidying the engine bay, fitting new bulbs (headlights, fogs etc) tidying fettling some bits to a mates car (see my SAFC and FCD together thread).

Off to get my 4 wheels aligned tomorrow and the camber and toe in setup, also lowered a little too ;) Not too much though. (D2 coilovers).

I will simply remove the HDi and try a manual 'ol skool' bleed valve and see what I can get it to sit at.

Sii

Member +
I did a full boost circuit clamp tighten, followed by a removal of the actuator and increase in the amount of preload, job's a guddun now.

HDi is holding fine now, must have been a boost leak or the actuaor setup when installed.