Braking question.

On my ep82 my brakes were perfect. From the time i touched the pedal the car would cut back good speed. The harder i pushed or lower to the floor the more braking power. Pedal never got near the floor. Thats how I like my brakes. In my EP91 with ABS it was the same thing as the abs doesn't work. Even removed the abs fuse. Changed pads car braked fine as I'm not a fan of abs I never replaced the fuse. Now after a year and some. My left rear caliper is sticking but more importantly I was getting little resistance in my pedal.

In other words my pedal would be almost near the floor before it started to brake. But it would brake. I bled my brakes yesterday and its become even worse. At first the brakes were great.

But now, if at speed I slightly hold to brake to slow down, the pedal just dips and dips almost to the floor as if loosing pressure. I then have to press again to get feedback in the pedal and braking ability. If I am at a stop waiting for a light with my foot on the brake, it will then dip and dip and dip till it gets near the floor.

I presume I am loosing pressure. Is this the Brake Master Cylinder? Can it be fixed or must it be replaced.

Texx

Super Moderator
It doesn't matter which corner you bleed first or last. Just make sure you get all the air out of each corner and that the fluid reservoir doesn't empty.

dac69er

Super Moderator
its either air as texx says. or if you arent loosing any fluid then it will be the seals in the master cylinder

Went and bled the brakes again. No fix. if i pump the pedal once before braking they hold like brand new stuff. If I pump the pedal with the car off and keep my foot on it then star the car it goes right down to the floor. Could this be a vacuum issue? If cruising and i just rest my foot on it, it will go to the floor and i have no brakes at all unless i release and go back on with a little force. If when driving and i press hard from the first try instead of light braking, they hold fine. But when stopped after a while it goes to the floor.

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like the master cylinder to me. either get a replacement, or you may be able to get a seal kit for it and rebuild your current cylinder. try toyota and see!

Went and checked for vacuum leaks, saw none. I was hoping it wasn't the cylinder, hard as ever to get that stuff here. could it also be the brake booster?

Texx

Super Moderator
The big round black thing is the brake servo or booster, that won't be causing your problem. If your 100% sure there's no air left in the system then the only other possible cause is the master cylinder (that's the thing with the fluid reservoir on top). As dac69er says, you could try and get hold of a rebuild kit or look for another master cylinder. If it's an EP82 you might be able to find a EL4 or NL4 Tercel or Corolla 2 and use the cylinder from that, if it's an EP91 there's a few different options:

EP91 - with ABS - 01/1996-12/1997

EL55 - Corolla 2, Tercel
EL54 - Cynos
EL55 - Cynos

EP91 - without ABS - 01/1996-12/1997

EL5/NL5 - Corolla 2, Tercel (with ABS)
EL5 - Cynos (with ABS)
EL5 - Cynos (CVT auto)
EL44 - Cynos

EP91 - with ABS - 12/1997-7/1999

No other option available

EP91 - without ABS - 12/1997-7/1999

EL5/NL5 - Corolla 2, Tercel

You can get a cylinder kit from Toyota, however it probably won't be cheap. Before buying one I'd recommend you first remove and strip your master cylinder and check the condition of the cylinder wall. If it's no good, there's no point in replacing the seals. If you need the cylinder kit part number PM me the model code and year of your car and I'll look it up.

K thanks for all the info guys. The mechanic said it has to be the master cylinder as well. Gonna see if I can get one today. I don't think there is any air in my lines. The fluid came out clean and with force.

Bought the ASIN master cylinder replacement and installed and bled the brakes don't think i bled them properly though.the pedal is not going soft anymore. But my brakes are not locking up when i hit the pedal hard.