C52 transmission - 4A-GE vs 4E-FTE

Texx

Super Moderator
Has anyone swapped the bell housing from a 4A C52 onto a 4E C52? Is it a straight swap apart from preloading the diff or should I expect some complications?

Also will a 4E-FTE clutch fit if I use a 212mm 4A flywheel?

My intention is to bolt a C52 from a GT onto a 16v red top 4A-GE.

weeJohn

Lifer
I know a lad who had a 7AGTE and he swapped the 4/7AGE bell housing onto the 4EFTE box, pretty sure he used a GT clutch on it as well as I bought a friction plate off him before.

Texx

Super Moderator
That's sounds promising then John, I thought it would all fit but wanted to hear that someone had done the same before.

Hopefully It'll just be the one engine mount that needs fabricating then to get the 4A into the car.

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
The clutch will work buddy, unsure of how much work goes into the gearbox fitment though :)

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

Texx

Super Moderator
The clutch will work buddy

Thanks for the confirmation Mike. :)

Another question being, does anyone know the length of 16v 4A-GE from the back of the block to the front of the timing belt cover? I'm hoping it's just the mount hanger on the front of the engine that needs fabricating so the gearbox and driveshafts will stay in the stock position. Somehow though, one engine mount bracket and a bell housing swap seems far too straight forward....

weeJohn

Lifer
Pretty sure a lad on UKSC has a 4AGE in his Starlet, I dont know what box he uses but there is a build thread on it.

Texx

Super Moderator
Pretty sure a lad on UKSC has a 4AGE in his Starlet, I dont know what box he uses but there is a build thread on it.

Any chance of a link? :D I'll go and have a search, however I'm not too familiar with UKSC.

Ben89

Lifer
I'm pretty sure the guy on uksc is shells/shellys younger brother, I think that's her username on here not 100% though! she has a white glanza iirc