Car Dying once started

glanzapower

Member +
hi ppl, basically i was driving my car and came round the corner of my house and the car cut out on me, i tried starting it over again but it did not start due to less battery power, so i jump started the car and started fine but start dying out again as the front headlights and everything went dim. then the car did not turn over again without a jump start. Can it be alternator issue as the lights go dim and car slowly dies out, also it makes a funny sound when starting it the first time, then when you rev the car the sound gradually gets louder
the car has enough fuel, checked all pipes on intercooler, turbo and checked oil everything is fine

what you think people
cheers

glanzapower

Member +
What sort of noise does it make when started up? Is the alternator belt tight?

lol...it sounds similar to a bottom end sound lool....but it happens when you start it first time the sound comes....when you start it again no noise but rev the car it comes back lol

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
The bearing in the alternator might of shit itself. Pop the belt off and check the pulley for play, thats all i can think of without seeing it to be honest dude.

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
Loosen the bolt on the bottom of the alternator that goes all the way through. Then above the alternator you will see another bolt attached to a sliding bracket. Loosen that and pull the alternator towards you.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
lol...it sounds similar to a bottom end sound lool....but it happens when you start it first time the sound comes....when you start it again no noise but rev the car it comes back lol

and why lights would dim if the bottem end has gone? :slap:

its clearly something electrical.. and as well said probably its your alternator!

ginor

Member +
Before you do that make sure you check the negative wire on your battery isnt loose. Mine used to cut out if I went over a bump or something and it turned out to be that lol

glanzapower

Member +
yep lol...i didnt say bottom end is gone i experienced that on my scooby...total power loss and smoke....but basically the battery is hooked up fine....i swapped batteries around its doing the same.....i think i need to just take the alternator off when im free and replace it....sooo does anyone have one lying about lol

glanzapower

Member +
hi there guys, the alternator was not the issue, its the starter motor as its not allowing the car to turn over, whacked it a couple times and its just tickering lol

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
Going by your original description it doesnt sound like the starter to me but i could be wrong. Shouldnt cause the car to die on you while driving. Id say there is more to it to be honest mate.

glanzapower

Member +
hi there fellas, i asked my mate about it he saying obv replace the starter motor but the car dying issue cant be caused by the starter motor, he sed it could be most likely something else...so would you guys know what it might be
cheers

corofin12345

Member +
check what voltage is goin to the battery and youll know if its the altenator or not.. should be around 14volts when engine is running.. anything under 11volts and battery is not charging

Last edited:

corofin12345

Member +
you getting the ticking from the starter motor cause theres not enough power goin to it as in altenator is no charging the battery... the car will start with battery alone then die when it runs out of juice.. also check your earths and live on altenator and up along to battery

Last edited:

glanzapower

Member +
you getting the ticking from the starter motor cause theres not enough power goin to it as in altenator is no charging the battery... the car will start with battery alone then die when it runs out of juice.. also check your earths and live on altenator and up along to battery

well im just about to order another starter motor is that any use