car is spitting a small bit!

JohnOBrien8

Member +
Ive just got my new glanza and ive noticed its a small bit smokey when ticking over,seems to be going ok but its smells oily.
also when i started it up cold it spat out a small bit of what i think was water out of the exhaust what could this indicate?
all plugs are dry,thats all i got to check tonight,and as i said it seems to be boosting going 100%
it has a few mods like manifold exhaust fmic etc
thanks
John

STARLET N/A

Member +
the spitting of water is normal, its just condensation. The smoke is most likley also to be condensation smoke, you will find it clears when the car is fully warmed up.

but if its cold day you will still see the "smoke". dont worry it nothing. you only need to worry if its blue, black or very thick white smoke

JohnOBrien8

Member +
ok maybe im over cautious!but the car was driven for two hours fairly hard,so was definetly warm!when i got out with car running it was still a bit smokey,
there is a small k&n filter on breather on rocker cover and when i removed it the oil ran off it,it will be replaced with catch can but would that cause smoke?
thanks
John

corofin12345

Member +
wip off the cat and check the colour of the exhaust blades and surrounding areas.. smell of oil could be turbo oil seals... when worn they can let a small bit of oil out into the cat and it will burn off.. small filter on rocker cover wont cause the smoke.. water is just condensation as said above.. normally the sign of a clean running engine (fueling just right)

JohnOBrien8

Member +
yeah im hoping turbo seals and not engine,but would there still be a good pull off turbo?sometimes the pull from the turbo isnt as good as say 10 mins before!strange to me!would turbo seals put oil into fmic pipes?

Tanz

Lifer
In my opinion if it was after a long driver and white smoke probably head gasket on the way out..

but i would check the decat for oil first just to make sure....

corofin12345

Member +
yeah im hoping turbo seals and not engine,but would there still be a good pull off turbo?sometimes the pull from the turbo isnt as good as say 10 mins before!strange to me!would turbo seals put oil into fmic pipes?

the turbo will pull nearly 100% with the turbo fully blowen.. a turbo breathes, never really boosts at its best cold untill it reaches its optimal temp but then again all turbos wear differently.. seals rearly go on the compressor side but can happen... just pull off pipe on right hand side of core to see if theres any oil there, if theres none i wouldnt worry bout that... what the levels like, oil/water?

JohnOBrien8

Member +
ok thanks lad! the levels are ok but il top them all up and keep my eye on them!wouldnt a headgasket not make the car overheat?
busy day tomorrow!i need to get someone to do a compression test and then i can cancel alot out!

corofin12345

Member +
that was the next thing i was going to say, ya that will cancel alot out alright... if the HG was gone, ud know about it thats for sure.. if it was the HG and it was cracked to a water port, ud see it on one of the plugs and compression test plus ud loose water and if the HG was cracked between cylinders, ud see it on a compresson test

JohnOBrien8

Member +
yeah thats what i thought corofin!
i,ll investigate more in the morning and report back!
anymore info,suggestion muchly appreciated! :)

JohnOBrien8

Member +
ok started car this morning and there wasn,t any smoke when cold brought it for a spin and when i came back was a bit smokey like before.took the deacat off and checked the exhaust side of the turbo it was dry,no oil or play in the shaft!also took the bov off the fmic pipe and it was dry inside too no oil!
i think a compression test is the next thing but is there anything else i could check while i wait to get it done?
thanks
John

corofin12345

Member +
it could be just old oil in the exhaust burning off man, turbo could of been changed before and old one shat itself... smell of burning oil is fairly pungent, id do a compression test just to be sure tho..