car smoking help

domglanzaturbo

Member +
hey
can any1 help me?
over the weekend my car has started smoking on tick over and when i pull off? its white smoke!
it also smells like its burning oil?
im not to sure on turbo's! do you think it could be oil seals for the turbo?

Thanks
Dom

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
It will be either engine wear/issue or turbo seals, or something silly like blocked PCV valve. Do a compression test first on all four cylinders at operating temp and report back so we can make further suggestions.

If you want any help direct just send us an email.

Thanks,

T

turboflow

Member +
this sounds like the seals on the exhuas side of the turbo, i have had this problem and seen it many times on others. rebuild or new turbo mate, it is definately the turbo i would say if you pick up the revs it stops or if it stops when driving, the increased spin then pull on the seal and reseals it until you stop and put bugger all pressure and it is able to leak again

owen

Damo

Fresh Recruit
My cousin has the same problems with his ep82, turbo oil seals i would imagine, when you say its white smoke this sometines indicates water in the system keep, im sure its prob your turbo seals but keep an eye on your coolant temp gauge and check your rad for water when the car is cold in any case

Jay

Admin
First guess is usually a turbo issue. Especially if the white smoke has a bluish tinge to it. This indicates the wastegate has fractured enough to let coolant into the exhaust. Oil seals usually go hand in hand with this stage.

Jay

stedee

Member +
sorry to hijack but i have a similar problem, i took my turbo out to check and no oil whatsoever on exhaust or inlet side.
mine smokes intermittently, sometimes after a run its fine other times when the turbo timer kicks in it starts to smoke on idle and when i rev it, it still smokes - bluey white smoke btw. compression is good btw 160 on all cylinders, the only thing i can think of is worn valve oil seals

stuart

Member +
sorry to hijack but i have a similar problem, i took my turbo out to check and no oil whatsoever on exhaust or inlet side.
mine smokes intermittently, sometimes after a run its fine other times when the turbo timer kicks in it starts to smoke on idle and when i rev it, it still smokes - bluey white smoke btw. compression is good btw 160 on all cylinders, the only thing i can think of is worn valve oil seals

Tried changing the little pcv valve, only costs £26 I think for both bits from toyota :)

I had same prob, changed pcv and voila :)

stedee

Member +
i forgot to say - i drilled it out to make sure it was open and to allow the crank gas out better but still the same.

Ted

Member +
i forgot to say - i drilled it out to make sure it was open and to allow the crank gas out better but still the same.

its a one way valve. if youve drilled it out then the turbo will be pressurising youre head. not good

turboflow

Member +
blue smoke is oil burnt in the bore eg through the engine via inlet e.t.c and white smoke that does no dissappear quickly like water would is oil burnt in the exhuast, oil will burn differently in different environments.

easty-5

Member +
I was going to post a similar thread. Disregard this post if need be as I'm probably just being stupid - well I hope I am. Anyway, I get a bit of white smoke from the car first thing in the morning untill it heats up. Once the car has warmed up then theres no smoke. Is this nomal?

stedee

Member +
I was going to post a similar thread. Disregard this post if need be as I'm probably just being stupid - well I hope I am. Anyway, I get a bit of white smoke from the car first thing in the morning untill it heats up. Once the car has warmed up then theres no smoke. Is this nomal?

yes it is

stedee

Member +
sorry i forgot to say the pcv goes to a catch can only and i capped off the inlet -throttle body so it doesnt draw air

stedee

Member +
blue smoke is oil burnt in the bore eg through the engine via inlet e.t.c and white smoke that does no dissappear quickly like water would is oil burnt in the exhuast, oil will burn differently in different environments.

ok i understand so if its is blue - valve seals or inlet side of turbo

if its white exhaust side of turbo

are there any other possiblities of white smoke cos like i said i did check the tubby and no oil anywhere on either side, i will have to look at the smoke with more detail because the smoke seemed a light grey grey with a tinge of blue

stedee

Member +

ok i understand so if its is blue - valve seals or inlet side of turbo

if its white exhaust side of turbo

are there any other possiblities of white smoke cos like i said i did check the tubby and no oil anywhere on either side, i will have to look at the smoke with more detail because the smoke seemed a light grey grey with a tinge of blue