Car started and ran for 5 mins then died?????

cneculae

Member +
Hey guys
I have just recently completed a top end rebuild(head gasket, new seals, valve springs, etc) on my 4efte ep 82 starlet motor.
Yesterday i was able to start the engine with no problem at all. It ran fine for about 5 minutes. Then it mysteriously shut off by its self. I tried starting it again but was unsuccessful. All i get now is this whining noise when i try to start it. Im getting fuel but not sure about the spark. My distributor is loose and i turn it slightly to see if it would affect timing at all but it did not help.

I have read on these forums that people have been saying its the alternator or the crank positioning sensor or a combination of both. My alternator is old i have never changed it since I've had the engine so i presume its either facotry or has been changed a really long time ago.

Is it possible that when i try to start the car there is not enough current for the crank positioning sensor to get a signal.

NEED HELP ASAP Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Cristian

danturbo4311

Member +
There is no Crank position sensor on the 4efte the ECU gets the cam position from the distributor, did you definetly get all the valves in properly, hopefully it hasnt dropped a valve doesnt sound like you have try a diagnostic test see if it brings up any error codes

cneculae

Member +
hmm
well i havent checked for any codes yet but i did take a look at my timing belt and everyhting seemed ok with it. I will check for loose sensors, plugs etc. Do you think there is any point in taking the alternator out and doing a diagnosis on it to see if its bad or not?

Thanks for the help guys i will keep you updated on the situation.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
chek that your termastate sensor is pluged in al the way the green one that is ,as it can knock the engine off if it comes loose;)

cneculae

Member +
hey guys
i tried doing a diag but it seems my diag port doesnt work becasue the check engine ligh does not flash.

I know im not getting a spark, plenty of fuel but no spark could this be becasue i blew a relay, or the ignitor went bad or the distirbutor?

cneculae

Member +
update on the porblem

I have tested the following parts

Alternator..............Good
Ignition Coil............Good
Ignition Module........Good

It seems that the culprit might in fact be the distributor since i am not getting any spark from the plugs after i did the screw driver test.

So now i guess ill see if there is a distirbutor available for a 4efte in the STATES.

weeJohn

Lifer
How loose is the distributor?

Is it possible the spline has slipped out of the exhaust cam and the distributor rotor is not turning?